"We were fighting, saying terrible things about each other." He stopped, lifting his gaze up from her body towards the top of the stairs "I pushed her. It wasn't even that hard but she tripped and fell down the stairs."

I glanced back from Harry to Jessica. Her body was sprawled on the ground almost in a pristine manner. Without context, you could've easily thought this was the scene for a mystical music video. The blood blended with her dark hair, flowing around her, contrasting with the paleness of her skin. Her white summer dress was neither ripped nor stained.

It reminded me of that famous picture of the girl who took her own life by jumping from the Empire State.

It was almost romantic, how could she look so beautiful even when she had fallen from so many stairs?

I suddenly became ashamed of my thoughts. This was a dead girl after all.

"Are you sure she is dead?"

Harry leaned over and slowly placed his hand against his neck.

"She has no pulse." He affirmed standing up "And she's cold."

Despite the darkness, I could see his eyes filled with tears. They hadn't been close in a while, so I wondered where all of this had come from.

"Why were you fighting? I thought you were not talking anymore."

"We were trying to get back together."

My mouth gaped open. I would've never imagined Harry wanted to get back with Jessica after everything that happened.

"I know it sounds crazy, but I guess I never stopped liking her." He gave me a dull smile.

I remembered the night I had found them talking in the darkness at that party. I had forgotten to ask Harry about it, but I guess now I knew the reason.

"So why did you do it?"

Harry looked away and swallowed before answering.

"She was running away, Adam. With another guy." He closed his eyes and ran his fingers through his hair exasperated. "I guess I got jealous and- I wasn't thinking straight, you know? We started fighting and-".

"Okay, okay." I stopped him. "What are we going to do?

"Grab her feet. Help me carry her."

"So where are we taking her?" I asked almost breathless. We were not only carrying Jessica's body but also all the things Harry thought we may need, including a duffle bag, two lanterns and a gallon of kerosene fuel.

"To the abandoned stilt house next to the lake." He answered, way more steady than me. He was, after all, in better shape.

"Why don't we just throw her to the lake instead?"

"Because, Adam, we need to get rid of any evidence." He said "you know, any fabrics on her wounds, or skin on her nails in case she scratched me. "

"How can you not know if she scratched you?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "I don't know Adam! I think that's what you're supposed to do." He replied irritated.

Harry said it was an accident, but if she had scratched him it meant she put up a fight before dying. The thought sent a shiver down my spine, but I pushed it away, choosing to believe my friend.

"Maybe I should've brought bleach." He mumbled to himself but I heard him loud enough to see this thing was a complete mess.

"I thought you said you knew what you were doing." I said exasperated.