10

We arrived at my house. I insisted Harry to spend the night there because I felt like he was in no condition to be alone. I knew he wouldn't agree to it if I gave him that reason so I told him we needed to think things through. He finally agreed.

"Come" I told him, checking around to see if anyone had seen us arrive so late and dirty.

I thanked to heaven Aunt Sheila had decided to go on that trip during the weekend and that Billy had texted me saying he was sleeping over at a friend's house.

We had the house for ourselves which allowed us to cool our heads, come out with a plan and erase every trace of circumstantial evidence.

"Take off your clothes." I hurried Harry, doing the same with mine and throwing them in the washing machine.

"I need to take a bath." He said.

I handed him clean clothes and left him in my bathroom while I headed to Billy's room to take a shower.

This time there was no underwater thinking, but I still took my time. Even after scrubbing my whole body for the third time I felt dirty, I wanted to wash off an invisible stain of guilt and despair.

I changed into warm clothes, even though I knew I would wake up drenched in sweat because of the weather, but the coziness of my hoodie made me feel safe.

I found Harry sitting on the edge of the bed. There were a few times before when I had seen that worried look on his face. He looked deep in thought, but the biting of his lower lip betrayed him and revealed his nervousness.

"Are you okay?" The sound of my voice surprised him for he turned scared towards me.

"Yes, you?"

"Fine, just a little bit in shock." I lied. The truth is my brain was hurting from trying to process everything. My mind was racing fast and my whole body was trembling.

Maybe I was exhausted but my whole body felt numb and cold. If I had been alone I would have wept there, but I didn't want Harry to think I had been affected so much.

I hadn't realized how deep in my thoughts I was until I felt a hand gently squeezing my shoulder. I lifted my gaze to meet Harry's concerned stare.

"You don't look good." He said with furrowed eyebrows. "Come." He led me to my bed. "You need to rest."

"What? No, Harry, we need to figure this thing out." I complained.

"Yes and I'll do that." He sat next to me on the bed. "I'm the one who brought us into this mess, and I'll be the one to fix it." Then he showed me a reassuring smile and gave me a pat on the back. "You're exhausted. Try to sleep a little and I'll wake you up when I have a plan."

He walked out of my room, leaving me there staring at the doorway through which he had left.

When he had suggested to get some sleep I wanted to laugh on his face. How could I think of sleeping on a time like this?

But after a while, my eyelids grew heavier and my body was met with the numbness of exhaustion.

I blinked a few times, trying to fade the tiredness away, but after a few minutes, without realizing, I felt asleep.