Chapter 22: Faith

Lauren’s POV

I woke up when the small frame in my arms started to stir and immediately I fluttered my eye-lids open, groaning as the warmth removed itself and fixating my gaze on Camila who was already getting dressed.

«Good morning.» I murmured happily as I recollected yesterday’s events. 

It didn’t take long before all contentment to vanish as her emotions broke through my barriers again. She was conflicted, angry, but worst of all she was vindictive and memories of our last conversation came seeping back to me. 

«Where are you going?» I asked suspiciously and jumped out of bed, getting dressed quickly as I watched her pull her sweater over her head.

 «This doesn’t change anything Lauren.» She started and I didn’t need any abilities to realize that this was heading in a dangerous direction. «I'm still going to find the vampire.» She stated unruffled, as if last night didn't mean anything.

«Camz.» I adressed her but she combed through her hair with her fingers and turned to me, refusing to look at me she started walking towards the door.

Fortunately I reached the door before her and succesfully managed to barricade the door with my body. 

«Lauren, please move.» She quiered tiredly. 

«Where are you going?» I asked back and decided that I wasn't going to settle with anything bullshit. I demanded an answer; I deserved one.

«You know where I'm going. I've already told you my plan.» She hissed and as always her reaction flared up the anger inside myself.

«No, I don't! Because yesterday you talked nonsense! Not even if that crazy assumption is true and a vampire actually killed your parents will you ever be able to track the accountable one down.» I knew I was being harsh and it was confirmed in the tears falling down her cheek, but I had to do everything in my power to keep her safe.

Going after a ferocious vampire in general was like playing with fire and I simply couldn't let her get burned.

«Move Lauren.» She sniffed. «Or I swear it will be the last you'll ever see of me.» Her words were drenched in severeness and I felt utterly helpess in this case.

I gulped. «Camila. Please.» I begged and she stared at me coldly, not a twitch in her face as she paced past me and out the door. She was serious and I never thought I'd ever turn to such lousy methods but I was at loss of ideas and indescriably desperate.

«Ally!» I called and went downstairs, meeting her in the bottom of the stairwell she did not look happy. «You already know what I'm going to ask?»

«Yeah, you're thinking is getting defeaning.» She muttered and I ignored her cheeky answer.

«So are we going?» I stated impatienly and brushed past her only to feel a tight grip around my wrist, holding me back.

«Lauren. I will not help you intrude your girlfriend's mind.» Ally spoke severely and I gaped at her in disbelief.

«So if my girlfriend is going on a suicide mission you wouldn't stop her?» I quipped and she sighed, pissing me off even more.

«She is her own person Lo and she's your girlfriend. If she wanted you to know what she was thinking she would have told you, but she didn't.» Ally reasoned and I glared at her.

«She didn't because she's irrational. The nightmare has messed with her mind and now she got a treacherous idea that she can actually find the culpable.» I buzzed.

«She can find him.» Ally whispered lowly and I tilted my head to the side, allowing her feelings to overwhelm me I found myself more confused. She was guilty until the point of unbearable and I raised my eyebrow.

«Anything you want to share with me?» I confronted warily and she sighed.

«I know who killed her parents...» Ally started and hesitated as my eyes grew wide, her next words taking me by surprise. «I know because it's the same vampire that killed yours too.» 

_______________________

Camila's POV

Arguing with Lauren had been expected. She was just worried about me and I fully understood but what I hadn't aniticipated was for her to do an absolute swift and deciding to help me find the guilty one. 

Earlier I'd got the impression that she found me incredible ridiculous but now she was standing outside my house in her leather-jacket, preparing for the road-trip to New Orleans. Something was telling me that there was more to the story, but right now I couldn't afford to push the limits. If she had one secret I would have to let it slip this time.

Honestly I was more than relieved to have Lauren with me. She was very good protection and also the one I felt the most safest with. 

«Are you ready?» I called and stepped into the car. She followed and took her seat in the driver's, pulling on her black raybans.

«Yeah.» She replied absentminded and I inwardly huffed. Lauren was definitely hiding something but I'd just had to secretly pray that she would tell me.

She started the car and started driving, occasionally giving me a glance and smiling whenever I met hers. Her smile never reached her eyes, as if her mind was preoccupied and I knew it was. If only she would share with me whatever was bugging her beautiful mind.

It would take us around seven hours to reach the infamous city but after three hours she finally spoke up.

«If we find him I want you to stay back at the hotel.» Lauren said and I couldn't believe my ears.

«I will not. Are you seriously kidding with me?» I uttered incredulously.

«No.» She responded strictly, her hands gripping the steering wheel.

«Lauren. If we ever find him I swear you won't be able to stop me from seeing him.» I manifested and she tightened her grip.

Without warning she swung to the side of the road and hit the brake so hard I believed my head would come crashing through the front. Of course it didn't, but I still sat startled back in my seat as she literally flew out hers.

I muttered profanities under my breath and pushed my own door open, following her as she paced back and forth frustrated, frequently running her hand through her hair. 

«Can't you just please listen to me for once?!» She exclaimed and I immediately came my own defense.

«This was my plan from the start and you tagged along voluntarily. I never asked you to come.» I sneered and she stopped in her tracks, her head turning to me but her eyes well-hidden behind the dark shades.

«You're being ridiculous Camila. It's dangerous. You can easily get killed.» She scolded with a hint of worry hidden behind.

«I know it's hazardous but I have to do this. It's eating me up from the inside and I never asked you to come with me. Why are you so invested in this? »

She stepped towards me quickly until I felt my back hit the side of the car. She was fuming with misplaced anger and I had no idea why.

«I will not let you do something so incredibly stupid.» She claimed. «I didn't come to watch you getting killed.»

«Then why did you come?» I challenged and her posture froze. 

_______________________