Chapter 4: Learning About You

Lauren’s POV

Camila had seen the golden circle, the only visible symbol that marked my true identity. I’d shifted in my chair as soon as the emotion of surprise washed over me.

I was17 now, but next year on my 18th birthday everything would change. My body would stop developing and my already dead heart would stop beating for real this time. Not some fake death, but an actual change.

My skin would turn ice cold and if I didn't learn how to control myself I would become a bloodthirsty monster. 

I’d never seen anyone turn yet, but Ally was soon to be 18. She was a year older than the rest of us, but the way she acted she could had been at least a hundred. What did they say, old soul. She definitely had that. 

She got so much wisdom and matureness that I was scared if I would ever be as strong as she was.

When I was younger those type of concerns would never even cross my mind. But 3 years ago I was bit by a traveler, the same traveler that killed my first family. Their bodies rejected the venom and after a few days they were gone.

After what Ally clarified she had met him and his brain had revealed his previous actions. That’s how she knew about me and she'd found me starving, weak so she brought me to her house and into her family with Normani and Dinah. 

Ever since that day she’d taught me about my new life. She was the one saving me every time I was about to give in to all the emotions that flowed through me every time I was near humans. 

Since Ally also had some specialities she knew how it felt to lose control of yourself. Therefor she was very understanding when showing me how to control it, to block out the rest of the world when the only emotions I wanted to feel were my own.

Dinah and Normani didn't have any abilities other than the general ultra sensitive hearing, supernatural strength and the capability to move faster than any other creature.

«Lauren, can you solve this equation?» The teacher abrupted my stream of thoughts as I straightened up, he was one of many who didn't appreciate my change.

«I can, but I have no interest in doing that.» I answered arrogantly.

He growled before directly looking into my eyes.

«Ms. Jauregui. Do you want to solve this inside of these four walls or do you prefer doing it at the principal’s office?»

I scoffed my books of the table immediately and saluted him on my way out. I was not letting anyone mess with me anymore. Now I was stronger than they would ever be and they would do good to fear me.

Laughs and giggles were hearable as I slammed the door and went to meet the tiny and kind principal, the only adult I’d actually endured the last times I was here.  

«Lauren...This is the second time you are here since you started this year. What have happened to you? You used to be a dutiful and humble girl.» She said with disappointment clearly in her voice.

I sank together in my chair, hearing her talk about who I used to be was getting to me more than I wanted to admit. Everything that used to be was gone, and I’d learned that digging in the past would bring nothing but sorrow.

«Just give me my punishment and I’ll be out of here. It’s only one year left, you won’t be bothered with me for much longer.» 

She shook her head and then her voice turned all grown-up and strict. «Well, you’ll have to apologize to Mr. Miller and then you’ll have to promise me to act in a more respectful manner towards the conductive adults.»