Chapter 22: Unhappy

Start from the beginning

I gripped the handlebars tightly around my fingers once more as conflict rose in my mind. What?! Why the hell would this even be anything to cry over anyway, was I really that disappointed to see him with her? 

"Hello, Rose? You right?" Lea leans in coming into my field of view and Jane quickly nudges me in the ribs.  

"Huh?" Startled, I snapped my head immediately upwards and blinked blindly as I realised that everyone was waiting for me to speak. "Oh, haha! Sorry, H-hi!" I managed to squeak out of my tight throat. "I'm good t-thanks, and yourself? Sorry, I was zoning out, just been tired. It's nice to see you again! I'm glad you made it!" 

"Great to see you too Rose, I'm great darl. I thought you were a little quiet standing there, poor thing, must've been working so hard at the restaurant, huh?" The way she smiled at me was so kind but inside my heart was wrenching. I couldn't help but feel a little betrayed by my idol. 

"Anyway, shall we continue with the tour? Luckily, we've also got Mr. Jaspy here to keep us company too!" Lea snuggled up slyly against his big arms and giggled. I bit down hard onto my bottom lip almost to the point drawing blood. I was starting to feel a little sick. 

"There's about twenty minutes before the bell rings and recess starts, so I'd suggest we get a move on before Lea gets absolutely swamped," Jane looked at her watch as a reminder. 

"Okay, noted. First we have to go to the gym stadium before recess starts, my cheerleading squad is there practicing right now. I'll show you our new tricks and maybe you guys can film it." Cassie interjects and linked her arms with Lea. "I think it will look amazing, so much better than going to see the library or whatever. There's nothing special about books." 

They moved forward but Mr. Green stood still, shaking his head. Lea and Cassie both turned back to look at him. 
"I've got to prepare for class." His says. The richness of his voice was like velvet, and without a doubt, it played its way into all of our hearts. 

"Noo, you can't." Lea whined against him. "You can prepare later, I mean, what do you really have to do that's so important right now? You have to join us. I'll help you sort things out later."

Mr. Green shook his head firmly again.

"Not even for me?" She battered her pretty lashes at him which I was sure it was enough to make any person, male or female, fall for her gorgeous charm. I hear him sigh in defeat. I guess she's really got him wrapped around his finger. And who could blame him? Nobody with two working eyes could resist Lea, she was practically a goddess amongst us mortals. 

I glance over briefly to my teammates who were smiling, excited that Mr. Green was also joining the tour. Obviously Cassie, Annie and Jane was fine with whatever we'd just witnessed, so it was just dumb old me feeling bummed out for no reason at all. 

I tugged at Jane sleeve as the group started walking again. "Hey... You mentioned that Mrs. Collins needed the papers to be picked up? I'll go... You should do the tour with them." 

Jane's eyes lit up at my offer. "What, really? You sure?" 

I nodded intently and passed the handlebars on Annie's wheelchair to her before running away.

The excitement of the tour had worn off. I didn't feel like showing my favourite idol around our school proudly anymore. I was beginning to feel really funny.

Before reaching the end of the hallway, I stop and turned back for a second and watched as the group continued forward, pointing at different sections of the school. They were already laughing and chatting along as if they'd been friends for years.  My eyes continue onwards over to where Lea and Cassie were walking closely with Mr Green. Just when I thought it was safe for my eyes to linger on his frame, he turned around.  Instantly our eyes met. 

Mr. Green opened his mouth as if to say something but like the scared rabbit I was, I spun on my heel immediately and booked it around the corner towards the library.