Chapter 14: Story Time

I wanted to write another chapter before I run out of free time to do so. So nothing is better than 2am I should totally be asleep writing.

He flew, fast and strong. Wind whistled past his ears, his perfectly styled hair whipping in the wind. The fires of men, civilizations that could hardly be called such, lit his way. The leather strap of his satchel settled against his perfectly tan chest. The sun, brilliantly bright, compared none to the beauty that was-

~~~

"Do you see any mortals? Or campfires?"

"You wanted the story. You got the story. Besides, I think Olympus would look lovely with a campfire in it."

"I wanted a report. Your job was to follow Demeter and report to me what she does. I do not need to know about your perfectly tanned chest or whether or not the sun was bright!"

The wings of his shoes crossed over his heels. Hermes did the same motion with his arms. Zeus watched as his son turned his back, pouting like the spoiled child he was.

"Then I guess you don't want to hear the rest of it." He turned back to face his father only long enough to stick his tongue out at him.

Zeus sighed. Elbows rested on he knees and head in his hands. The young god peaked over his shoulder, devilish smirk across his face. A long pause passed before he spoke again. "Fine. Go. Continue. But, for the love of Hera, get to the point."

"As I was saying. The sun, brilliantly bright, compared none to the beauty that was-"

"Thanatos take me now!"

"-the god Hermes."

~~~

As the lands of Greece stretched out before him the god thought it best to grace the unsuspecting mortals with his presence! He would entertain them with stories of his daring deeds, like how he outsmarted the great Apollo out of his entire heard of-

[You are seriously still telling that story?]

(Mortals will believe anything!) -stories of his daring deeds! And, at the same time, fulfill his great duty to the Lightning Father!

[That is seriously what you call me?]

(Excuse me, who is telling the story?)

[I wish you weren't.]

(Mumble all you want, Echo's watching). It was then that the great and all-knowing Hermes flew down to Helorus; the very village in which Kore was mysteriously taken!

~~~

"Oooooo," Hermes said in some poor attempt to instill a sense of foreboding. When his father made sign of recognition, he repeated the noise. This time wiggling his fingers for added effect.

Zeus was rather unimpressed. "'Great and all-knowing'? Really?"

"Well, I don't see you giving me any names!" He turned again, pouting.

"How about Eriboas?"

"I am not loud! And I do not shout!" he shouted.

~~~

The lively little town had normally gathered at the market at that time of day. Rows of what they called shops, and what were really slabs of wood stacked together to make a table. Crates of fruits, apples and berries that Margery once choked on when Hermes told the most brilliant joke. Barrels of grain, Hermes had once talked a man into hiding in one and then rolled him down the side of a hill. Baskets of vegetables- he actually didn't have a story to associate with vegetables. And flowers. The most beautiful and delicate- (Don't you sigh at me! This is important to the story!)