Chapter 5 - It Just makes sense

"There's no place I feel more at home than when I'm near the sea," Lance stated absentmindedly, blue eyes gazing into deep ocean. The pale boy beside him spared a glance before returning his line of sight to the direction he'd been steering the small boat that contained the two boys.

"Were you near the ocean where you were before here?" Keith began to enquire curiously.

"No... It was far, very far, from the ocean," the lanky boy's pitch descended slightly, "I hated it."

"What about your family?" it was a daring question but the ravenette seized the opportunity to find even just a little bit more about the ocean eyed teen.

"I..." Lance hesitated momentarily but steeled his gaze upon the waters beneath him. Resolute, he continued, "I've never known any family before Hunk's parents adopted me."

No family...

"I see... That's...-"

Picking up on Keith's lack for words the blue eyed boy swiftly cut in, "I mean, it didn't bother me or anything! I actually don't remember anything about if I ever had any family to begin with so it's not like I lost anyone or have anyone to miss or anything like that!"

"I mean, no one really remembers their baby and toddler years."

Deep blue eyes gazed woefully at the pale boy, a soft smile across caramel skin.

"The first thing I remember was waking up on this beach. No memories except for a name," Lance averted his gaze once again to the ocean, "That was the day I met a boy who introduced himself to me as Hunk. He was patient with me and taught me about a thing called friends, he said we could be friends, then he protected me from the people who tried to take me somewhere, saying they were helping me, because I was scared. That was ten years ago."

Ten years ago, that meant the boy had no memories of the first seven years of his life. Also, to Keith, ten years ago meant the year of the incident.

oOoOo

The sun was waning behind the horizon when the two boys finally parted in the evening.

"Thanks for... Well... Sharing I guess... Y'know, about your past and all that," Keith expressed

"I actually don't usually share these things with others, but... I wanted to share it with you," the lanky teen smiled bashfully at his pale companion. Lance's words clenched in the ravenette's chest with a vaguely burning grip as he watched the other boy's back fading into the distance.

When the other boy was completely out of sight Keith sent a quick message to a certain big brained shorty.

I think I found something. Meet me at the shack.

It didn't take Pidge long to arrive, she was never one to waste any time.

"So let me get this straight, you think Lance is the mermaid you saw all those years ago?" the petite girl attempted to clarify, incredulous, "Where is the logic in that?!"

"I don't know but I already told you-" Keith began only to be cut off.

"Yeah, yeah, he has the exact same face and everything just keeps conveniently corresponding," running her fingers through her hazelnut hair the girl exhaled deeply, "I can't believe I actually believe all this dubious nonsense to begin with!"

"And yet you did because things just kept falling into place and you were even able to fabricate undeniable theories that filed in all the holes."

Pidge released another sigh, "Is there even anything on mermaids turning into humans? Other than fairy tales and other fictional media of course."

"Well I still need to look into that..."

A gremlin glared at him unamused.

"I suppose if we're gonna take a shot in the dark," another grumble, Pidge was not pleased, "Suppose, if mermaids exist then certain other mythical creatures could too. That being said there is one being more likely to exist than most others. Witches, magicians, whatever you call them, humans that are capable of wielding magic."

"So you're suggesting a witch might've been able to turn him into a human?"

"Well considering our current theories, probably not alter his entire genetic makeup but maybe just his physical appearance?"

"I see... Then-"

"-though certain organs would need to be significantly altered... Though I suppose that technically still falls under altering physical appearance..."

"Uhm..."

"-If only I knew more about magic... Keith!"

"Yes? You done?"

"We need to see if we can find anything worthwhile on mermaids turning into humans, as well as, research in witches and magic."

It was the ravenette's turn to sigh, "Well then, we better get started."

oOoOo

"Keith!" loud thumping sounded against the door of the beach shack, "Keith! It's 12am, you're coming home with me now!"

The door swung open abruptly causing the taller man to almost stumble forward as his fist met with empty space.

"Hey Shiro, what's up?" a short girl stared up at the young adult with large honey brown eyes.

"

Pidge? Wh- shouldn't you be home too? I'm sure your parents wouldn't appreciate you being out this late."

"Nah, they're used to this by now, I pull all-nighters at the school every now and then and you know what Matt was like."

The older male sighed, "You're just like your brother, I feel bad for your parents."

"Please, dad was the same."

"Do you think we could get our hands on a grimoire?" a second voice, male, called out from far end of the shack.

"A grimoire?" Shiro questioned, eyebrow raised.

"Don't worry about it," the shorter girl in the doorway assured, an innocent smile plastered over her features, "It's nothing concerning."

The taller male knew for a fact that any project this duo would work on would be very much so concerning.

"You know I don't believe that one bit right?"

"That's just you being a worried father, it's all in your head."

"Except for the fact that the two of you are always up to something suspicious."

"You need to learn to trust your children."

Shiro stared, unamused, at the shorter girl, innocent smile still flawless. Before he can continue however he notices the raven haired, pale teen pass behind Pidge, a Styrofoam cup of instant coffee in hand, reminding him of his initial purpose.

"Keith! Out, now! We're going home!" the older male called over the petite girl obstructing him.

"Shiro? When did you..." it was clear by the boy's momentary perplexion that he hadn't even realised his older brother's presence until this point, processing the man's demand, however, he responded bluntly, "No." then proceeded to return to his research.

"It's well past 12am, we're worried about you!" Shiro attempted, receiving not even so much as a glance in response.

"Hm... Looks like he ignored you." Pidge commented, glancing at said boy before returning her gaze to the taller male, "We're pretty busy right now so don't take it personally. I should be getting back to work too."

With that she swiftly shut the door before Shiro could even attempt to protest.