Chapter 72 - 2016

"Andrea, did you hear me?" Austin's voice pierces my thoughts. "Are you even listening to me?"

"Hm?"

"I was asking you if you think you're ready to go see iTronics. Do you think you'll go tomorrow?"

"I...I don't know. I hadn't thought about it."

It's mid-afternoon, and I'm sitting with him in the kitchen. We've been lingering over cups of green tea that the house gave us when we asked for coffee.

I was supposed to accompany Rupert to iTronics headquarters the day after we arrived in New Rome. But that was weeks ago and I've been putting him off ever since.

The truth is, I've already thought about it and have already resolved against going tomorrow. My reluctance is borne of the nausea I feel every time I think of dealing with my father's corporation. I've inwardly resolved to go when the feeling finally passes.

We're sitting at the gracefully sloping marble bar of the kitchen across from a double wide fridge. It's equipped with computer systems in possession of more processing capacity than a decade old desktop FlexScreen and is disguised as dark cabinetry.

We are getting used to the feeling of ordering up dinner with a vocal command and having mounds of steaming Chicken Korma deposited on the counter from machines unseen. There is a dining room at our disposal, but its grandeur makes it feel unapproachable.

Rupert told us that it's mainly for guests and that when he was at home, Donald had preferred to eat in his study.

"Well, we've been here for a couple weeks. Don't you think it's time?"

I'm silent a moment. How can I explain my reluctance?

"I just don't know what I'm supposed to do there."

"I'm sure someone will explain it to you," he says. "Have you asked Rupert about it?"

"Well, no. But it's not that. I still...I just don't get it. What am I doing here, Austin? I'm a teacher."

"Yes, you were a teacher. But you were also written into Donald Anderson's will. Do you really think he would have done that if he thought you were completely incompetent?"

"He never even knew me."

I take a sip of my tea to distract myself from the tears that threaten at the thought of the father I never met.

Austin gazes at me in silence. The whirring of computer fans rush in to fill the absence of speech. He puts his cup down on its saucer.

"That's true," he says and my shoulders slump. I feel his arm go around them. "But I know you. And I know you can do it. You have to at least try. And if you think you can't -- I can help you."

I take a deep breath and glance up at him from lowered eyes. "Really?"

"Of course." He smiles and clasps me to him. "Besides, what the hell else am I going to do?"

The comment makes me laugh despite myself. "I should be insulted by that."

"So be insulted. It's not going to stop me from helping you."

I tuck my head into his shoulder and we just sit and say nothing. I'm so glad that I have him back, I can't speak. And so we just sit, and just be.

"So what do you think?" he asks at last. "Is tomorrow the day?"

#

Weak, red sunlight glints off the domes of the other neighbourhoods. They sit on the shoreline of the Hellas Basin like pearls brought in by the surf.