Chapter 39

Remember to follow, vote, and comment!

"Shit," Chris says.

I rush down a paved slope between stalwart stone facades from different generations, with Chris a pace ahead of me. We run past parked cars and confused bystanders clutching bookbags. When we come out on the other side, I look around frantically at the wide cobblestone and grass expanse in front of us.

"Come on, I know a place." I take Chris by the wrist.

I bolt across a narrow road and around the circular lawn at the center of campus. As we speed toward the circular, green-roofed Convocation Hall, his arm slips from my grasp.

I look where I'm heading, straight towards a gothic building nestled between the pillars of the Hall and the spires of University College.

"Where?" He asks as he slows ever so slightly so that we run abreast.

"There." I point.

Then he's grabbing me by the hand, not the wrist. Willing me to match his frantic pace. His rough hand warm against mine.

"You sure about this?" He asks as we round the bend and approach the building.

"Positive."

I don't take my eyes from the arched wooden doors when he finally lets me go to ascend the steps. I push them open. In front of us is a cavernous room with impressive stone pillars that rise to the ornate stone ceiling. A steep marble staircase on either side of the room lead up to sets of heavy iron and glass doors. I glance up one set of stairs but keep running.

A few idlers stand around. They are riveted to the walls, slacked-jaw as they watch something invisible. A flick of my eyes makes it materialize: an AR broadcast of the scene we've just left.

People and droids scatter from Queen's Park. Cars have been left abandoned on the street. Smoke comes from the legislature and automated firetrucks wheel towards the building. Protestors knock bots onto their sides before the machines have a chance to contain our bomb. The caption under the picture reads: Vote Passed. Unions abolished as explosion rocks building and RoboNomics Riot Squad break up crowd.

Beyond the stairs, I turn a tight left to exit the rotunda and speed down a hallway. I run to the very end, where there's a blond wooden door with its single window. I silently pray it's unlocked. Chris turns back, drawn by the sounds of shouts and screams from the atrium we've just passed through.

"Anderson –"

"I know," I interrupt.

I grab the door and find it's unlocked. I usher Chris through, pull it closed, and turn the deadbolt. But I don't stop moving. I run up a short staircase to an organ loft. I jump behind a wall and gesture for Chris to follow me so we won't be seen from the window in the door.