Chapter 40 - 2016

I wake up with a startled intake of breath. I hadn't even realized that I fell asleep. 

We sat there, side by side, deep into the night. I listened to the door knob, my eyes straining to see in the darkness, too anxious to fall asleep. But I must have.

The light in the chapel is brighter now. Chris' blond head is resting on my shoulder. I listen for the door handle and look for the red laser beams. They are both gone.

"Chris, come on. Wake up. We have to go." 

I cup one of his shoulders and gently shake it.

"What?" He blinks awake. "Where am I?"

"We're in a chapel at the university, remember? Look, I think the bot is gone. We can get out of here now."

His eyes go wide when I mention the riot droid. He jumps to his feet. 

"We've been here all night?"

"Looks like it."

"The vote. The riot – I mean, the protest. I have to find out what happened. You know, to Oz and Joe and Shari."

"Yeah," I agree. My body is so stiff it's difficult for me to stand. "I have to get out of here too."

"Meet me back at the headquarters tomorrow, maybe? We can talk about what happened. Figure out what to do next."

I eye him, wondering what he means.

"About the vote," he says as if reading my thoughts.

"Sure."

"If you talk to anyone else from the Group, tell them the same thing." 

He brushes dust from his pants. He's avoiding my eyes.

"Yeah. I'll find out what happened with everyone."

"You'll be okay, won't you?" He asks. "It could still be dangerous out there. You don't live far from here?"

Does he know where I live? I think, but shake off the thought as quickly as it comes.

"Yeah. I'll be good."

#

But I don't go straight home. For two hours, I weave through alleys and side streets. I break into a broad avenue. 

It's Dundas Street. Broken glass and spent tear gas canisters litter the streets. A burnt-up car sits halfway onto the sidewalk. It rained overnight and huge puddles lie across the road. The city is slick with water and quiet in the early morning sun. 

As I cross the street, the whining of a bot's servos echoes in the empty boulevard. I spot it as it retreats down the street. Even though it has its back to me, I don't dawdle. I hurry onto a side street to get out of its sight line.

I wander south, away from home and towards the lake shore. My head is filled with unanswered questions. 

I think about what Chris said: Is that really how you feel about it? I can't get Chris and his kiss out of my mind. I picture his beard and his long hair that are such a contrast to Austin. I tremble slightly thinking about the roughness of his kiss.

Finally, I arrive at the office of the United Workers Protest Group. It is dark and empty. I'm disappointed that Chris is not here. Part of me assumed he would return to the office immediately. 

I don't bother to turn on the lights; instead I cross to the washroom to take off my shoes and socks. My feet are soaked. I close the seat of the toilet and sit down to towel off my wet feet.

I know that I have to call Austin. I haven't talked to him for twenty-four hours; the wireless circuits were jammed all day. 

Now that the crowd has evaporated I have to let him know that I'm safe. I pull my phone out of my pocket and find that it's off. 

"Weird," I say aloud. 

Sometime during the chaos yesterday I must have accidentally turned it off. When its white light fills the small room, I hesitate. 

The moment I tell Austin where I am, he'll appear. He's always been dependable. But I need to say a few things to Chris before I see my husband. So I wait.

My wait isn't long. I'm still in the bathroom when the door of the massive elevator rolls opens and Chris' voice fills the loft. The bathroom door stands open a crack.

A vaguely familiar voice answers Chris and the lights come on. I freeze like a hunted animal for a moment, and then when I'm sure they don't realize I'm here, I tiptoe to the door. I need to see who he's talking to.

I gasp. Joe, Oz and Shari are following Chris into the cavernous space. Behind them is the man with the familiar voice. He is dressed in a black suit, similar to the ones I've seen him in before. And I'd know that face anywhere.

It's Jay Tharanga — the RoboNomics corporate liaison I worked with at Crescent Street Public School.

(Continued in Chapter 41...)

******************************

Hey, everyone! Thanks for reading this chapter. Let me know what you think with a COMMENT, or VOTE for it if you enjoyed it!