Chapter 26

Remember to follow, vote, and comment!

Once we make up, it doesn't take Austin long to act like himself again

Once we make up, it doesn't take Austin long to act like himself again. He goes back to work two days later, the same day that Elizabeth contacts me about joining the Reclaim our Future Movement.

"I thought about what you said," she tells me. "And maybe you were right. I don't know what else to do."

It's not exactly the passion that Chris is looking for out of new members, but I'll take it.

The tidal wave of teachers who have been lately replaced by machines have all heard about us now as well, either through unemployed colleagues or because of our failed plan at sabotage.

So I tell Henri, Miriam, and a few others to meet me at the Movement headquarters. There, we organize new members, their numbers multiplying faster than we can imagine. We can barely keep up with introductions and figuring out how we can put this new force to work.

By Tuesday evening, we've almost got a handle on it. I send everyone else home and try to wrap up on my own. With Austin at work, I'm in no rush to return to an empty apartment. I work for a few hours and am just starting to think about the hollowness in my stomach and the rapidly dying sun of early spring when the entrance of the loft squeals open.

When I look up and see Chris, I flick my eyes off his face to make my extended reality environment disappear.

When I look back at him, he looks happy to see me. An instinct to curse him out for his lengthy absence rises, but instead, I find myself trying to smother my instinct to smile back. Trying, and failing.

"Decided to finally make an appearance?" The question, when it comes out of my mouth, sounds more flirty than I intend.

"Yeah, of course." He continues to walk toward me.

"Of course?" My smile fades as quickly as it appears.

"I'm the founder of this whole thing, aren't I?"

"Yep," I confirm. "And yet, you're never here."

He stops in his tracks. "So?"

I glare up at him. "So where have you been all this time? What have you been doing?"

"Oh, you know..."

"No, I don't know. You left with some great ideas... some amazing plans about how to get all of our jobs back. And yet here we are, with more members than ever. That's not a good thing, Chris."

He opens his mouth as if to say something. Then, like a switch flicking off, his gaze wanders away from its focus on my face. His blue eyes cloud as he withdraws from our conversation. He turns and heads toward the stairs.

I'm up on my feet before he reaches them. He's not about to put me off so easily.

"What? You have no answer for me?"