Chapter Nineteen:

Start from the beginning

But at the next statement, like a shrieking sword slicing through his heart, his soul shattering into shards of broken glass unlike the smooth window it had once been, Kevin nearly gasped and dropped his phone.

"Esther Kaplan was hit by a motorcycle and is in the hospital at the moment."

Esther Kaplan was hit by a motorcycle and is in the hospital at the moment.

Esther Kaplan was...the statement was too harsh and foreign against his ears, like the bitter screams of sorrow in his life after leaving him for so long since they had confessed their love to each other. His heart was no longer beating; now stuck in another dimension like his withering mind, decaying as he tried to comprehend the horrific words.

"What?!"

"Sir," the artificial voice grew louder. "She's hospitalized."

Kevin hung up, his mind muddled yet his heart once again clear as the waters in the beaches they had planned to go together one day, as clear and still as the sapphire seas sparkling in Fiji or Mykonos or anywhere for that matter. Anywhere but these treacherous waves of California.

"I'm coming to save you, Esther," he whispered to himself, his tears sprouting as he scrambled to the door, running frantically down the halls, down the stairs, and to the glittering garage glinting with wicked lights as his car yelled for him to come and save his love.

"I'm coming..."
***********************************

She was frozen. She was completely and utterly frozen, in a world of ice and death. Her skin was snow, hardened, mellow yet frigid snow, caressed by the cooling covers of burning blue and the purplish hue of her lips, lips which had once oozed red roses onto his, just frozen and faded. Her dark lashes were now lifeless, like the once-caramel locks of hair now bundled up like a bunch of dry sticks. Her face was an island of gritty sand now, a once-beautiful island washed over by the waves of extreme horror and destruction. Esther was unrecognizable now. Frozen and broken to the terrified lover who longed for her to return.

He wrapped his hand around her own cold palm, her white, gelid hand comforted by the warmth of his tender, caring one.

His tears were streaming down, seas of shock and broken love shining down to the one whose light was trapped in the realms of dreadful darkness.

"Essie," he whispered, his heart cracking as he placed her hand against his lips, crying quietly.

"Please come back to me," he said to the girl frozen in dreams and cradled by the depths of the cruel coma.

Yet, against his hopes, she didn't say anything at all, lying there like a still doll waiting for her aura to arrive. She didn't- couldn't- say anything at all.
***********************************

     Avi plopped against the cozy couch, beside his girlfriend who was rubbing her baby bump lovingly. In his hands was a thick book of intricate names spiraling through the pages.

    "So how about Ethan, if it's a boy? Or Elli? Or maybe Elliot or-"

Kirstie cut him off, her eyes beaming as she giggled. "You really want the baby to be a boy, don't you?"

"I mean a girl would be nice too," Avi said with a laugh. "A pretty little girl with beautiful dark hair and beautiful brown eyes, like yours," he added with a smile before she grinned and then grimaced, remembering who the father was momentarily. It could look like that monster too.

"Yeah," she said, changing the subject, "but what names then?"

"Ella, Grace, Taryn, Julia, Adeline, Addie for short, Lilia, Mad-" Avi began again, except this time the phone underneath him rang as he pulled it out with Kirstie mouthing that 'if it was a girl, Adeline would be perfect,' and his eyes beaming as he recognized Kevin calling him.

    "Hey man," Avi intoned with a smirk, which didn't last very long for his face fell at the next statement running out of Kevin's panicking mouth.

     "She what?!" Avi nearly dropped the phone, his jaw clenched tightly as he felt his breathing stop and his heart tremble.

     Ivory pain grew through his chest as he heaved back and forth, his eyes drowning in the devastation which he thought had left him since Kirstie's happiness was arriving. His mind raced through thousands of thoughts, like the electrifying stars in the artificial night sky, soaring and simmering through the painted heavens above.

     "Avi...she...Esther's in a coma," the heartbroken man on the other line stammered softly before bursting into a sob as Avi felt his blood boil with anger and horror.

    He ended the call, his hands on his face, as the girl beside him watched in absolute confusion and fear as he took the pillow behind him and crushed it against his fists, tears working their way out from the recently-dried up sea of sorrow which had just decided to open up again.

    And he stood there silently as cries escaped him and as the once-broken girl wrapped her now strong arms around him and attempted to comfort him.

    For Kirstie knew that he was as broken as she.

    So that happened...
Hope you enjoyed and love y'all!!! Goodbye loves 💞💞💞!!