Chapter 2: Determined

A few hours later dad comes home and finds me and Rin in the bathroom along with our dead mother and Niko. He doesn't speak to either of us. I don't know if its shock or pain.

   Later we've moved to another town after mom's funeral knowing we couldn't stay any longer.

  I've been noticing that he rarely looks or talks to me anymore. Like he blames me for my mother's death, like I've should've never been born. When I did get a chance to speak with him this is what happened.

    "Hey...dad...can we go play...ball?" I ask nervously. He looks down at me.

   "Don't ever call me your dad." He says coldly.

   I stiffen. "B-but..."

   "Do I make myself clear?" He says sternly scaring me a bit. I hesitate to nod.

   He grumbles to himself, walking away. I shake my head back and forth trying to shake off the tears before he noticed them. I rush back to my room staying in there.

   Year 2033...

   Three years later, the rates of the infected Nikos increased highly. Shortly in that time, an organization called "GENO" (Global Extermination of Niko Offence) came up to eliminate the Niko infected keeping citizens protected. But there were only a few hundred who volunteered to be in it and ⅓ of those volunteers died because of them.

   For that reason that organization hired people to make special type weapons for defending from Nikos only.

  These weapons separated in two groups of nature, wind and lightening/electricity along with swords, and guns. You can wield these weapons with a bit of training.

   With a reason, Rin and I asked Sensei if we can learn to fight with the katana.

   "Why would you two want to do that?" He looked at me mostly as he was asking the two of us.

   "I want to become a GENO!" I say confidently. Rin nods along with my statement. He doesn't say a word. I get a little nervous waiting for him to answer.

  "Don't be ridiculous!" He shouts unexpectedly.

  "Huh?" Rin says confused.

  "Do you realize how many people died for joining in that?!" He yells angrily.

  "Of course we know!" Rin argues. Sensei looks at her. "We're doing this for a reason, and you know well enough why." She pauses and looks down. "We're doing this for m–"

   "Your not joining it." He cuts her off. Rin's face shows a mixture of confusion and regret. I look at Sensei angrily.

  "What do you mean can't join?! If we want to we can, and you can't stop us from doing that!" I shout at him.

  Sensei and Rin looks at me surprised. I get surprised myself.

  I didn't realize I had this courage to speak out like this... to express how I really feel.

  "And just how are you going to do that?" He says firmly. I look at Sensei straight in the eyes.

  "I'm going to train, to get stronger!"

  That's right I will get stronger. I won't be weak!

  "Fine... I'll help you train and you too Rin." Rin and I smile gladly. "But be warned that of you fail there will be great consequences." We both nod.

  For some reason it felt like he was saying that directly and only to me...

Year 2037...

  Now I'm here training. I'm 15 years old, I have short black messy hair with dark blue eyes and I'm training my older sister Rin who is 17 years old and has long dark red hair tied up in a ponytail with dark blue eyes as well.

  I charge at her first and try to cut her with the blade but she blocks my attack, shielding herself with her own katana. She pushes my katana off her and runs to my blindside. She knocks me off my feet and I fall to the ground dropping my katana beside me.

  She's too fast...

  Before I can get my katana, I look up and see hers pointing at my neck.

  "Arashi we can stop fighting if you want..." She says a little worried.

  "No! I'm not going to lose!" I reach into my pocket pouch and pull out my dagger. She sees the dagger and backs out of my reach immediately. I get back up and put my dagger back in its pocket. "You sure did get fooled easily."

  I watch as Rin looks suddenly more alert, frowning. I rise the katana and wield it to the right. Blue electricity flows through the katana and around it.

  "So you finally learned how to wield the electricity." Sensei says.

  Rin gets tense. She wields her katana around then positioning it straight up in front of her. She mumbles a few words. Her katana then glows.

  This must be the wind katana form.

  I swing my katana in Rin's direction making the electricity lash out at her. But of course Rin blocks the attack again with a sharp gust of wind from her katana.

  Tch... this is getting me no where. I'll use my back up plan.

  "Hmph." I nod. I run straight to Rin swinging the katana lashing out electricity and as usual she blocks it. In that second, I jump landing on my left hand upside down and push up, jumping over Rin.

  Before she could react, I knocked her off her feet just like she did to me a little while ago. I point my katana to her neck, electricity still in tact. She glances nervously down.

  "You've gotten better Arashi." She admits. Her katana stops glowing and the electricity flows back into my katana. I move my katana away and help Rin up.

  "You passed Arashi, you did good." Sensei says. I look dumbfounded.

  "Um..thanks Sensei." I put my katana back in its sheath, Rin doing the same.

  "You have a big challenge ahead of you two. The Mastery Skill Test. This will determine if you will become a GENO or not."

  "Right." Rin says. I nod in response.

  "Now get rest you have little training tomorrow morning then the test starts at noon."

  "Tomorrow!?" We both said in unison.