Chapter 1| It's Unlocked

+||+

Justin's POV

Well it was another day and the same routine. I woke up, took a look at the clock on my nightstand to check the time; it read 7:15. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I shuffled out of bed to walk to the bathroom. I spent about fifteen or so minutes in there to take care of my morning duties then I got ready for the day. Once I was freshened up, I went downstairs to eat whatever my mom cooked for breakfast. Most of the time I ate on the way to school because my brother, Derek and I usually had some business to take care of before it was time to sit in the God forsaken classrooms. On these days, we leave right after our mom heads off to work. Yet, we still manage to be late for first period. It was just a continuous cycle at this point and it was our life.

"Justin, can you please pull up your pants," my mom asked as I walked into the kitchen to see what she made us for breakfast.

I rolled my eyes at her. I absolutely hated when she told me to pull up my pants. I liked to let my pants sag, not because I thought it looked cool but because it was comfortable as hell. "No, mom. I'm wearing a belt, they're fine."

"I hope you know that girls don't want to see that," she turned the stove off and scooped a section of scrambled eggs from the pan onto a plate with toast on it.

I chuckled at her as I grabbed the plate from her hand, "You're kidding. The girls love it." She shook her head as I walked to the countertop island and sat down to eat.

"Well it's not attractive and I would appreciate it if you would just pull up your pants," she complained, fixing herself a plate and then poured a cup of coffee into her favorite mug that says #1 Mom. Yeah, she's one of those.

I took a forkful of eggs to my mouth and mumbled, "It's not gonna happen." It really wasn't. I never listened to her, especially when she complained about what I was wearing.

"Don't talk with your mouth full," she scoIded, coming over to sit next to me. "I wish you would respect me."

"Mom, please don't go there." She always wanted to give me these "talks" about respect and listening to her, but I just didn't care to listen. I finished my eggs, which were surprisingly decent compared to the other times she cooked them. Then I took a bite out of my not surprisingly burnt toast. The simplest cooking and she couldn't do it. I was amazed me no doubt.

She stabbed at the eggs in the corner of her plate, "I'm just saying, you should listen to your mother for once in your life."

"I do listen to you," I paused as I caught her scowling at me. "Sometimes."

She sighed out of annoyance and I stood up, taking my empty plate to the sink. Turning on the faucet, I ran water over the plate before setting it down in the sink. I turned off the faucet and caught my mom staring at me. I hope she didn't think that I was going to wash the dishes cause that was not my job.

She took a sip of her disgusting black coffee before speaking, "Where's Derek?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "Sleeping."

"Can you get him down here to eat before he's late for school?" she asked without looking at me.

"Derek, get down here. Mom wants you to eat," I yelled up the stairs.

My mom got up from her chair and fast walked over to me before smacking my arm, "I could have done that."

"Shit," I rubbed my arm. She pointed her finger at me authoritatively and I sighed as I turned to ascend the stairs. When I got to Derek's room, his door was cracked open a bit and all I could see was the darkness seeping out. I pushed on the wood and walked over to the bed, peering over his body to see him sound asleep. My hand came in contact with his cheek, "Wake up."