Chapter 1: Choosing

"Levi..." Mother's voice echoed in my head as I tried to slumber. But when I opened my eyes... I saw her, staring down at me with her gray cloudy eyes. She kisses my cheek and I started to complain.

"Mother... stop it..."

She chuckles softly as she kept kissing my cheeks. "You're a cute prince, Levi... I can't wait to see the king you'll be when you grow up..."

"But I don't want to be king..."

Mother looked down in sadness, "I know... and I didn't want to be Queen... but I know that one day, you'll find someone you loved and you can live a happy life..." Once more, she kissed my cheek before tucking the blankets. "Now, you'll get some rest, understand?"

Nodding my head, she blew the candle out and I fell asleep. Not knowing that this moment was the last time I ever saw Mother... she carried a sickness, and killed her quick in her sleep. Now, the true person who ever loved me almost faded away from my dreams...

*   *   *

"Levi." Groaning, I looked at Erwin, full of hatred. Telling me that I should have time to grieve and shit. Not like I care or anything like that. He disowned me, ever since Mother died. Saying how I was the one who had her killed... but people knew that it wasn't true.

Mother had absolute power over the kingdom, as she is an Ackerman by blood. But since I was too young to inherit the throne, my father took control, until he dies. Attempting to marry another woman, it wasn't allowed, as I was still alive. 

As long as there's an Ackerman living, the heir goes straight to them. And apparently, there's an Ackerman far away, but as I heard, she's an infant. So, I am the only true heir... the one to control the lands and control the throne. But something didn't feel right... as if a piece of me was missing.

"I'm not having one of your little shit talks, Erwin." I say, walking away from him. "My father was a terrible person, and I never wanted to rule..."

Erwin sighs, "Alright then... then tell me... what are you gonna do?"

"I don't know... carry on trades or something... I dunno..."

He chuckles, catching up to my pace. "First of all... you need to have an heir ready to take the throne-"

"Like that Ackerman overseas? I think we're good." Walking away, he grabs onto my arm, sternly. Not even I can break his grip unless I ripped my arm off and kept running. "Oi, let me go, Eyebrows."

His eyes gently looked at me. "I'm not saying that the infant Ackerman takes the throne when you pass... I'm talking about real flesh and blood. Your heirs... your children-"

"No. I'm not having kids."

"You must though... you must, at least." His blue eyes threatened me. "Your heirs are important to this kingdom, Levi. Now, I'm not rushing you, but if I was you, I'll be on the streets and looking for someone. It's just as a precaution. After all, we don't want anyone to be involved with our affairs... so choose someone you would love and care. We won't force you to choose."

*   *   *

Changing into regular pants and a white long sleeved shirt, I pulled a cape over my, pulling the hood to hide my face. Though the sun burns, I wanted to keep my identity hidden. So I walked down to the city, looking around. It's not that I truly care, but if it's the rules... I have to obey them. I just hope I don't make a wrong choice...

*   *   *

Hanji's POV

A group of ladies walked up to me, to tease me the usual stuff. The lady wearing a pink frilly dress and a matching bonnet walks close to me, snickering. Preparing my ears to hear the harsh words, she knocks over a bowl of warm tomato soup on my pale orange skirt.