Chapter 16: New Beginnings

Months later

" Turn around girl, I wanna see how that skirt lays." Cleopatra turned around and gave her derriere air to the fashion designer Jenny had hooked her up with months ago. Lavon smoothed the chocolate brown skirt over Cleo's ample frame and stepped back to admire his work; he was damn proud.

" Say I'm not the absolute shit!" Lavon laughed to himself as he intoned his words to the many  employees in the room. His clothes laid dreamily on his brand ambassador and he couldn't help tooting his own horn on his stellar work and execution.

" I gotta admit, you know your way around my curves Lavon." Cleo looked into the floor length mirror across from her and admired her frame; she looked like a real life model.

" Shit girl, if I swung ya way best believe I'd know em' a whole lot betta." Lavon winked at Cleo in the mirror and both burst out in laughter; both knew his statement was absolutely ludicrous being that Lavon was happily in love with his partner of five years, humor served no truth here.

" You crazy boy." Cleo was still laughing as she picked up her ringing phone where it sat on the beauty bar she'd previously been seated at.

" Ooo 'scuse me ya'll, I gotta take this." Cleo picked up her phone and scurried to the bathroom to have her conversation.

" Hey stranger." Cleo said the words while looking at her reflection in the mirror. She wasn't one to wear makeup, she preferred the natural look, but with the job the makeup artist had done today she might have to change her views.

" You can keep tryna lose me all you want miss, but ima remain on ya tail indefinitely."

" Wa, why you gotta play like this?" Cleo had been trying her hardest to stop Wakeem from tracking her every move in the previous months but it was no use, the man remained just beyond her reach at all times.

" Just cuz you and Nathan ain't on that type time nomore don't mean he don't still care bout ya whereabouts." Wakeem currently sat in his car outside the studio Cleo was having her photo shoot in. He couldn't help smirking incessantly at Cleo's attempt to get rid of him fully, she should've known by now his job was to remain on her heel without fail; and he wasn't gonna let Nathan down.

" I don't need this in my life!" Cleo was annoyed with Wakeem, but her true outburst was due to another man who still couldn't let her go.

" He still sending you shit?"

" My doorman thinks I have a stalker...besides you of course." Cleo cut her eyes at no one in particular and tried to force out a laugh.

" That so called Lavelle man sure is a stalker! Aye I know you gotta get back to work and all but let me take you out tonight." Wakeem's tone went from hostile to endearing in less than two seconds flat and Cleo surely took note of such.

" What would be the point?" Cleo's bluntness was the product of her being a newly slighted woman.

" You need to have some fun Cleo, I promise it's just dinner."

" I guess it would be ok." Cleo guessed a dinner with her unwanted bodyguard wouldn't be the death of her, per say.

" I'll be at ya place at 8." Wakeem told Cleo to dress up and after she related that she would wear what the fuck she wanted, the two hung up and Cleo got back to her second job. She wasn't gonna live off anybody's income, despite the fact that Nathan provided her with just that.

Ring, Ring

" His early ass." Cleo quietly fumed to herself as she went to the intercom phone near her door.

" Ms. Jordan, I have a Wakeem Jenkins here to see you." The doorman at Cleo's complex had a big ass question mark in his voice, and she had to stifle a laugh at his assumption.

" Send him up Tom, thank you." Once she hung up the phone Cleo waited patiently for Wakeem to knock on her door, once he did she directed him to sit down while she finished getting ready; she was still in her robe after all.

" This place is real nice Cleo, you hooked it up girl." Wakeem sat on Cleo's cream sectional in her living room marveling at the beautiful color palette of aquas, creams, and pinks, which were tied throughout the apartment. He had always liked Cleo's sense of style, and her beautiful home décor was just another plus in his mind.

" Thanks." Cleo flashed a rare smile as she peeked her head into the living room for a minute.

About fifteen minutes later Cleopatra Jordan emerged as she would've months ago, when her life had been much simpler.

" Damn girl, to what do I owe this honor?" Wakeem's eyes lit up like firecrackers on the fourth of July as he surveyed Cleo's attire. She had on a fitted black dress that stopped above her knees, strappy platform sandals that elongated her legs, and her hair was back in it's natural state of bouncy and flirtatious curls. If anybody thought Cleo had lost her mojo after all she'd been through he or she would've been sorely wrong.

" Boy stop playing. I haven't gone out in a while so I wanted to throw a little something on, just to see if I still got it." Cleo said nonchalantly as she grabbed her house keys and phone to throw into her clutch bag.

" You most definitely do darling." Wakeem's accent and confidence came out at the last word of his statement as his southern twang pulled him from the couch and jerked him over to where Cleo was standing at her kitchen counter.

" Thanks Wa." Cleo took a minute to look up from what she was doing and look Wakeem in his almond eyes; she appreciated the compliment.

" I'm serious." Wakeem stepped into Cleo's personal space and the air became tense as he paused before taking her left hand in his and lifting it over her head to encourage her to do a full spin.

Cleo did as she was told and spun on her heel so that Wakeem could see the grandeur of her wardrobe. In the midst of such she caught his eye and a awkward silence ensued as the sexual tension in the room became palpable. Cleo hadn't had sex in months, and it showed in her rigid stance and shortened breath when Wakeem brought his body so close to her own. Wakeem was dually aware of this fact and wanted to fulfill her needs, but his respect for Nathan prevented him from doing anything more than kissing her temple in simple affection.

" If it wasn't for-" Before Wakeem could finish his statement of apology for not taking things further, Cleo stopped him by placing her index finger to his lips.

" I know. He still haunts me too."