I jumped at his voice.

“I’m okay with you two walking back, it’s not too far,” Alex said. “Just be careful, okay? And stick together.” His eyes rested on me. “I’ll see you later, Finley.”

The graveyard was on the outskirts of Summerfield. To get back to our hotel you had to weave through some of the suburban areas: a few housing estates, a primary school, a playground. Jack and I walked side by side for most of it. He was silent. So was I.

I stopped when we reached the playground. It wasn’t voluntary, not really. I just hesitated, letting my fingers settle on the metal fence, let my eyes wander around inside. It was your average playground, with a swings and a seesaw. I hadn’t played there when I lived in Summerfield, but as I looked at it, I could almost see littler versions of Jacob and I. Playing. Swinging on the swings. Having fun.

“Do you want to go in?” Jack asked me, gesturing towards the playground. I paused.

“Okay.”

We ignored the sign that stated that the playground was for people under the age of twelve. The gate creaked as we opened it. Gravel crunched under our shoes. It smelt like spilt ice cream that was spoiled after a few days by the heat of the sun, but lingered in the air as a sour reminder of childhood.

“I always liked swings,” Jack told me softly. I looked at him, watching as he walked over and sat down. His long legs looked weird on the children’s swing. I sat down on the one next to him. Someone had wrapped it a couple of times around the bar on top, meaning that it was about a foot or so higher than Jack’s swing.

I began to kick my legs up, letting the swing move. It felt nice to pretend to be a kid again.

“I used to jump off when it got high enough,” I said aloud. Jack glanced at me. “I always landed on my feet.”

“Can you still do it?” He challenged. I laughed.

“Let’s see.”

Years ago I thought that I was going to be a poet. I wrote a poem all about jumping off swings.

Rope burning my hands

Sun burning my back

Take a deep breath and count down

Sprouting wings for

A short flight across the garden

Until I tumble down

Grass burning my hands

And staining my knees

Giggles bubbling from my mouth.

As you can tell, I was never going to make it as a poet.

But I still jumped. And it felt like I was flying- a little bird soaring across the sky. For a split second I was completely free of everything that had been holding me down.

Then, of course, I came crashing down to the ground. The tarmac scratched my knees painfully, but I was still laughing. Laughing for the first time in days.

“Nice trick,” Jack told me, after checking that I was okay. “But I bet you can’t do this.”

I watched him with bated breath. He took his time, and stood up... on the swing.

“That’s pathetic,” I giggled, “Jack, anyone who can walk can do that.”

He rolled his eyes. “It’s harder when you’re tall,” He insisted, “Because... um, you have a higher centre of gravity.” He looked down at his knees, which were wobbling wildly. “I’d like to see you try.”

I raised an eyebrow at the challenge and stood up, walking back over to the swing set. I took hold of the ropes and pulled myself onto the seat. And stood up. My swing was higher than Jack’s, and I was actually looking down at him.

“I’m taller than you,” I teased. Jack stuck his tongue out at me in response.

Eventually, when Alex started calling Jack’s cell to make sure we hadn’t died or I hadn’t got lost again, we left the playground. It was only a few minutes of walking before we were at the hotel. Alex was waiting in the lobby for us.

“I was starting to get worried,” He said, frowning at Jack and smiling at me. “Lets go upstairs. We have an early flight tomorrow.”

I was in bed when I heard them arguing. It wasn’t really in argument, just their two voices hissing at each other. I got up, padding silently to listen at the door.

“It’s not fair to Finley,” Jack was whispering. “She deserves-”

“She deserves to be allowed get out of this place and leave it behind.” Alex said fiercely. “I’m not going to-”

“That’s not your choice to make! If she doesn’t want to read it then fine, but you should at least let her decide.”

“It is my choice! She’s still a child, and it’s my job to look after, so yes, it’s my fucking choice whether I should give it to her or not. And I’m not going to!”

“Well then I am!”

“No you’re not! Give that to me!”

I opened the door. They both froze.

“What’s going on?”

Alex lowered his arm and stepped away from Jack. “Nothing. Go back to bed.”

“What were you arguing about?” I looked at the envelope that Jack was holding above his head. “What’s that?”

Jack glanced at Alex. “It’s... nothing.” Alex smiled at him thankfully. I wasn’t so relieved.

“Tell me!”

“Go back to bed, Finley.”

A/N- Hey guys! So I took a month's vacation (oops) but I'm back now!

I NEED SOME ADVICE - I have two possible endings for this story and I need your opinions, basically one will be another two or three chapters long and the other might be another ten chapters. Give me your thoughts!

Also, I will be starting a new story on AUGUST 19TH! Remember that date, and go read it when it's up! Please?

So anyway, if you enjoyed, please vote for the chapter (we got 61 votes on the last chapter come on guys we can get that again!), and follow me! And please don't forget to comment and tell me your thoughts on how many more chapters you think this story should have! x