Chapter 8

“You know, I’ve never been inside this place” Alex mused, glancing around the hallway. “It’s... um... cosy?”

I laughed. “I could choose a few different words, but all of them would get me grounded for a week. So, sure, let’s go with cosy.”

Alex smirked. “I promise I won’t ground you for swearing” He said, ruffling my hair. I elbowed him.

“Don’t touch my masterpiece” I said, glaring at him. He chuckled.

“Sorry” He said, holding his hands up in surrender.

“You owe me a soda” I bargained. He grinned, and nodded.

“Finley?”

We both turned in the direction of the kitchen to see The Carer rushing towards us.

“Thank God you’re safe!” She said, enveloping me in her arms. “Oh, when you didn’t come home...I was so worried...I was about to call the police when Cassia called!”

She looked at Alex, before squeezing him just as tightly. “Thank you so much for finding her and bring her back safely” She told his chest. “You are one hell of a man, Alex Gaskarth.”

“That I knew already” Alex said, trying to disentangle himself. “You’re very welcome, Aisling.”

She had tears in her eyes. I didn’t know she cared about me that much. I was stunned.

“Come into the kitchen” She said, “I’ll put the kettle on, you both look like you need a good dose of tea.”

“Actually, I should go change” I said hastily, tugging on Alex’s shirt as proof. “I’ll be back in a minute.”

“Take your time” Alex said, waving me off with a smile.

I ran upstairs,glad that the other children were at school and I wouldn’t have to talk to anyone.

I pulled off Alex’s clothes and dumped them on my bed, before going to the doll-sized wardrobe I had. It was pretty empty, but I chose a pair of skinny jeans and rooted out a clean hoodie. As quickly as possible, I put them on, before running into the bathroom and checking myself in the mirror. Alex’s hotel room had been low on makeup, so after I ran a comb through my hair I put on some eyeliner and mascara. I took a deep breath, and a second to gather myself.

I went back downstairs at a slower pace, and so I was quieter too. Alex and The Carer didn’t even notice me. I went to open the door, but paused when I heard my name.

“-been here a while. I mean, she’s only been here for about eleven months, but she’s been in foster care since she was twelve. I’m sure you know that already, of course.”

“I do” Alex said, “But no one ever told me why. They just said that her parents died.”

“Well, death is a touchy subject with everyone” The Carer replied, “I imagine that they wanted her to tell you herself.”

Maybe she wasn’t so bad.

“I get that” Alex agreed, “I want her to tell me too. I just wish she’d talk.”

“She will” She comforted him, “In her own time.”

I chose that moment to open the door, and act like I hadn’t been eavesdropping. “Hey” I said lightly.