Song 32 ♪ Supermassive A** Hole

Start from the beginning

It felt like ages after we got tested for alcohol, got processed and locked in a cell with a few other kids from the party who did look like they'd taken copious amounts of something. I was crying by that point like my eyes were faucets that were broken and wouldn't close off the stream. I was sure I was going to get kicked out of school. I was sure that with this on my record I'd never be admitted to a decent college, never get a well paying job. A short moment of bliss, of freedom, of doing the only thing I was really good at, had just ruined my entire fucking life.

I felt arms come around me, and when I realized it was Ashton I pushed him away and didn't dare to look at him.

"Leave her alone, you stupid, privileged asshole."

My body stiffened. Slowly I looked up. Ashton looked like he'd been punched by DeAndre's words, even though he stood three paces away on the opposite corner of the cell, which was now full of as much tension as it was of people.

"What the fuck," Ashton said, not really as a question. "What's your problem, dude?"

"My problem is you. You're the reason we're all here," DeAndre said.

I shook my head a few times, trying in vain to grasp at the reasons why this was happening.

"You're the one who planned this gig with a college frat," he continued, pointing at Ashton. "You made this happen."

"Are you saying I called the cops on us?" Ashton snorted. "And what? Get myself in as much trouble as you're in?"

"Ash, stop," I said, getting in between them. I cringed at the hurt on his face. "Shut up, please."

"Why?" he asked softly. "Are you on his side?"

"On this, yeah." I sniffed, but it didn't stop my tears from falling as any attempt for the past hour. "You don't have anywhere near as much to lose from this as we do. Your dad will come and rescue you with all his money and power, and we don't have that. Our futures-" My voice broke for a second, but I pushed on. "Our futures might just be fucked because of tonight."

He took a step back, dropping his face in his hands. Ayrton glared at me for the first time since I'd met him. I hadn't thought he'd be capable of hostility.

He said, "Clearly you don't know our father very well."

It was silent after that. I shuddered, realizing that I was in the middle of an argument that no one was going to win. I walked over to Leti and Addy and sat between them, facing Madison as she rubbed Quinn's back. We stayed like that for what felt like an hour, watching as the cops brought more people from the party into the precinct. I didn't understand why a college party had been such a big deal for them until I caught whiff of the words drug bust and underage drinking at the same time. I hugged my knees against my chest and cried into the fabric of my jeans.

Tonight was a nightmare.

"There you are."

I vaguely recognized the voice in the back of my head. I looked up to find the Winters boys' father stand just outside the cell with a couple of men. One of them carried a suitcase and I assumed it was the family lawyer.

His eyes were cold as they swept over all of us. They didn't light up in recognition as he saw me. Instead, they posed on his sons with burning intensity. Both boys squared up in front of him, blocking him form our view.

"Father," Ashton said, his voice so deep and dark that it raised goosebumps on my skin. "What are you doing here?"

"Saving the family name from further ruin," the older man said. "It's not enough that your brother comes out as gay and puts shame on our family's Christian values, but now you drag him and you into jail? And here I had hope on you, Ashton."