Song 13 ♪ In The End (It Was No Biggie)

Start from the beginning

I positively melted on a barstool. My heart was slowing down but that had been a lot more adrenaline than the weather report had forecasted for the weekend.

"Why don't you guys go out to the beach and talk for a bit?" their aunt said. "It'll take me a few minutes to cook up those virgin cocktails I promised and I'm a bit short staffed today."

The reluctance was clear on their faces, but Ashton was the one who followed the instructions and all but hauled his brother outside. After all, he'd come all this way for that purpose. I saw them go with more awe than I should have. I could just imagine them walking the halls of Trinity together, dropping jaws and panties, and boxers too, left and right. I finally understood why people cleared Ashton's way; no one wanted to stand next to such perfection and be found lesser.

I groaned to myself and put my hands on my face. It was burning hot even though I was in the shade. Just what was I doing here?

Their aunt stood before me with a smile. "I'm Jenina, by the way. But I hate that name, so you can call me Jem."

We shook hands. "Vera."

"Are you a friend of the boys?"

I shook my head. "No, it's kind of a strange story."

She leaned her elbows on the bar, eyes twinkling. "Oh, those are my favorite."

"I thought you were short staffed?" As I asked this I looked around and saw that there were many more waiters available than there were customers. My brow furrowed.

She shrugged one shoulder. "I had to get them by themselves somehow. Ayr's been moping around for weeks, waiting for his brother to find him but without doing anything at all to be found."

I rolled my eyes. "Boys."

Her laugh was hearty and true. "Tell me about it. These two are way more sensitive than they care to admit." She leaned forward. "But anyway, tell me your story as I make those drinks."

I told her my whole story. And I didn't even start by the part where I met Ayrton as I was cleaning his bathroom. I started from way back, from when I was that kid that people pointed to in the line and said, that one, the chubby girl. By the time I reached the part where I met Ashton, I'd already gone through one virgin piña colada and started on the second one, which might have been meant for one of the boys. But Jem didn't complain, she just made more drinks as she listened to me and punctuated her attention in all the right places. She gave me some stink eye at the parts where I told her that it was weird to hang out with such pretty people when I was just... the way I was.

"What do you mean by that?" She put her hands on her hips. "Girl, I wish I had lips like yours and hair with personality like yours. Not the limp noodles that hang on my head."

My jaw dropped. I looked at this beach queen. "But you're gorgeous and petite and so colorful."

"Thank you." She smiled. "But I also have cellulitis, stretch marks and not even humidity can make my hair develop some volume. Look," she put two virgin cocktails in front of me. "You need to learn to live and enjoy life in your own body, because it's unique to you and it's the reason why you can do all you can. I'm sure there's something special about it that makes you stand out and be you. Whether that's your hair or your hips, it doesn't matter. You should feel blessed to be who you are."

I grabbed my throat unconsciously. I felt like I'd waited my entire life to meet Jem and hear these words. I'd been living all my life under ma's criticism and Leti's well meaning, but mostly self centered words, and I was starved for someone to acknowledge me.

"Promise me that you'll do that," she said, insisting.

I took a sip of my drink and nodded, eyes downcast so she wouldn't see that they were probably brimming with tears. "I'll try."