2|| missing student

I don't move as the voices get closer, only change to be a small ant. I recognize them, and I wish I couldn't. All I knew was that it was late at night. Maybe if it was just my dad I would've been fine. I would've been fine talking to him, I'd wanted to all day. Because he usually helps me out with everything, so I'd learned to be able to trust him with all my troubles my whole life. Even simple minor inconveniences. But ever since moving into the dorms it seems my communication with him has been limited. I figured that he was busy, and I wasn't even sure where I could find him. 

"I'm sorry to hear that you and y/n got in a fight," it's my dad's voice, obviously talking to Todoroki, "I know how much she cares for you, so I hope you two will be able to work it out."

"Did she tell you anything about what happened?" Todoroki. 

"No, Midoriya speculated towards it, and it seemed to make sense," my dad says truthfully. "I'm only hoping she'll be at home. That way I know she's safe and warm." He sounds so concerned for me, it almost hurts.

"With all the heat and humidity right now I think it would be hard for her to be cold," Todoroki says. His words take form of a joke, but his tone reverts back to being flat. My dad laughs anyways. 

"Well anyways I appreciate you both coming with me," my dad tries to stay optimistic, "I'm sure I would've lost my head looking by myself. And Aizawa really seemed tired, but hey, what's new?"

Their voices are somewhat distant, but the fact that I can hear them pulls me out of my depressive state for only a moment. I'd been incredibly selfish, pondering the whole Bakugou thing. I still think that it's unfair to deny to myself that I don't at least like him. But the love I feel for Todoroki is so overwhelming, it hurts to know what I've done. I change to a bird and take flight on the way back to my house. For my dad's sake. I don't want him to find me laying down on the ground in the middle of a sidewalk. 

I grab the key and fumble with it until I'm able to pull the door open. I toss the key on the counter, grab a blanket from the closet and plop on the couch. Honey stops drinking from her water bowl to find me, and she sits up beside me on the couch. I wrap my blanket around my shoulders and envelope myself inside. I think I'm pulling off the heartbroken look without even trying. When I hear the door open I bury my face into Honey's fur. I don't want to look up and see Todoroki. 

"Y/n?" My dad's hopeful voice fills our house, and echoes slightly. I don't really have it in me to respond, but I do so anyways. 

"In here," it's quieter than what I expect, but it's almost miraculous that my voice is working at all. 

Two pairs of footsteps make their way into the living room. I don't look up from Honey's fur, and she pants happily thinking it's the equivalent of being pet. 

"Y/n kiddo," my dad starts with a soft voice, putting a hand on my back, "why are you here?"

I somehow find the strength in me to lift my head. My tired eyes take in the scene, and my dad takes a seat to my left, and places an arm over my shoulder so I lean into him. I look over and around, and Todoroki isn't here. I almost feel relieved, but I think he's probably just waiting by the door now. 

"Dad I really fucked up," I tell him miserably, "I-"

"Hey," my dad says lightly, "it doesn't matter what you did. I know you never want to hurt anyone intentionally. I think Todoroki knows that too." 

"It doesn't matter if it was intentional or not," I cry quietly, "I still did."

"What happened?" 

"I kissed Bakugou," I tell him, looking down on myself. "I know it's not exactly a big deal to you. But to me it means everything. Because to me, Todo means everything. And I'm such," my voice cracks as I once again feel my tears in my waterline, "a horrible friend. And I don't want to lose him, Dad." I get worked up again, it's different saying it all out loud. My breathing hitches and becomes uneven. "I really. Really. Really would hate to see him go. He's more than just my best friend. I love Todo. So much. I feel so so bad."

My dad listens to me as I cry, and hugs me tight. 

"Y/n you're still new to it. You're still new to love, and teenage emotions and all of it. You're allowed to mess up. You're going to mess up a lot, it's only human nature. You're trying to figure out your feelings all while being a hero. You can't expect yourself to balance it all perfectly all the time. You will mess up, and if you mess up a million times while trying to find yourself, well then it's better to mess up than be so focused on trying so hard to be perfect all the time."

"I know, but I don't want my mistake to cause losing him."

"I think maybe you should tell him that." 

"What if he never wants to talk to me again?" I mutter hopelessly. "I saw it in his eyes and I broke what we had." 

I look, and watch as Todoroki lightly steps in the doorway. He looks at my tear stained face before looking away right after. My dad stands up, and leaves the room to give us privacy. But also to probably save him from the awkward role of being there. Especially since I'm almost certain he's listening from behind the door.

"Todo I-" I start to explain, not even sure what I'd say until he shuts me up. 

"I heard what you said. I heard all of it." 

"I'm so sorry."

"I know." 

"I don't expect you to forgive me," I tell him, looking down, "I just wanted you to know how much you mean to me."

"I know. You mean a lot to me too," Todoroki's voice barely softens, but at least it's something. "It just hurt."

"I should've thought about you. I should've realized before how much I love you, and how worthless the stupid kisses were at the stake of you."

"I can't entirely blame you," Todoroki sighs, shifting his weight to one leg, "I know how easily confused you get," it's a small dig, but a lighthearted one so I instantly flare a small smile, "and I know that before you've told me that you're not sure how you feel. I don't expect you to figure it out anytime soon either."

"But you've been so kind to me throughout all of it," I mutter, "you've stayed by my side and made me really be glad to be with you all the time."

"I don't stay by your side so that you'll like me," he says, his tone warming, "I stay by your side because I love being there. I've told you before, it's always better with you. I don't expect you to stay all mine. Even though that's how I want it to be." 

I can't help myself. I pop up from the couch, and rush to him. I let my desperation bled through to my actions and I hug him tightly. He hesitates for a moment before pulling me in closer, and leaning down to rest his head in my neck. I breathe in his scent.

"If I'm sure of one thing, it's that I love you," I whisper into him. 

"I love you too," he reassures, "I promised that I'd never hate you."

"I was so scared you would," I tell him, the simple thought making me want to cry one last time. 

A/N hey so another cringe-cute chapter. if you didn't cringe once while reading it then you're literally an MVP. It's pretty short and I didn't exactly want them to 'make up' so quickly and the whole thing is totally choppy and gross but yo i like the concepts and some of the dialogue so. 

anyways thanks for 75k, I'm literally crying!!!