Chapter 18 - Adjusting to a New Life

"I'm going to ask you again. Who were those men, and what did they want with you?" The guards had been questioning me for a couple hours now, or what would have been hours back on Earth, time ran so differently here.

"I'm also going to tell you again that I. Don't. Know!" At this point, I almost started screaming at the man. "Can I just go back to my room now? I don't even know why I'm still here!" At this, the man made 'calm down' gestures with his hands and told me to stop talking so loudly. I was so fed up, and the room was so hot, that I just got up and left.

As the door slammed shut behind me I thought about how I maybe shouldn't have just left, because I don't actually know where to go. I don't even know where I am. Great. Just Great. This was a partial reason as to why I liked the Avengers facility, because after a couple days, I knew where I was and I had an idea to the building setup.

I ended up walking in a new direction where I didn't see as many guards filtering through the hallway. I hate this place. I just want to go back to Earth where people aren't as mysterious and strange. I want to eat cereal in peace and look at my unpopular profile on Instagram. I don't want to be here anymore. It feels like so much time passed since this morning. At least a lifetime.

I wasn't really paying attention to what was going on around me or where I was walking when I bumped into someone.

"Omg! I'm so sorry, I should probably be watching where I'm going." I straightened up to see Lyric staring right at me. "Lyric!" I gave him a hug but was confused as to why he didn't return it.

"Hello. Hope you are doing well." His voice was strangely robotic and it gave me chills.

"Lyric?...Are you feeling alright?" my voice was quiet.

"Good-bye." Just like that he walked right past me. I was so disgusted. Why did he act like that? Was that someone's influence on him? Or was it just him not wanting to see me after I abandoned him at the door that day? He shouldn't have taken it that personally, but lately I don't know what people can and can't handle.

I stood staring after him for some time. The hallway was long so it wasn't like he could just vanish turn onto another hallway or disappear into thin air, unless he was a member of those men in black gang which I hoped for Tony and Pepper's sake that he wasn't, so I could watch him walk away. This led me to another thought. Was it those men in black who made Lyric like....that? After all they wanted to know about the Avengers and Lyric knows more about them than I do. I ran my hands through my now silver hair. I didn't even know what to think.

As Lyric rounded the corner, I started following him. After all, I actually didn't know where I am, so a guide would be nice. The hallway had long since deserted itself. There was no one in it, and my shoes clacked loudly against the hard marble floor. I paused for a moment to make sure Lyric didn't hear me following me, and then took off my shoes leaving me in my black socks.

I was creeping along so quietly that I almost jumped back to Earth when I heard a voice behind me.

"What? Are you doing?" I turned around to see the young boy that got me out of my room this morning. The boy that led me to the men in that dreadful room.

"YOU!" I yelled at him. "WHY YOU LITTLE IMBECIL-" He put up his hands. A signal that made me stop talking.

I tried and tried to open my mouth but could not do so. I raised my hands to slap him when I heard talking around the corner. I recognized the voice to be that of Lyric and another person I did not know. I opened my eyes wide, nervous that they might see us, when guard boy pulled me into a room that was right next to us and shut the door so it only shown a little bit of light.