The Huntresses of Artemis

Thalia's pov

We were saved by a bunch of girls around my age, some a little older, some a little younger. Then a girl with long braided black hair came up to me, she had ancient brown eyes and perfect full pink lips. She walked with a girl around 12. She had dark brown hair and sharp grey eyes. "Hello Thalia Grace, we have a proposal for you." She said. I was a little suspicious. How did this lady know my name. But recently, I had gotten used to strange and suspicious outcomes. Besides, it seemed these strange women had helped us escape the cyclops. I nodded and followed the women into the largest silver tent. Inside was a red carpet. Both the girls sat on one side and gestured for me to sit on the other side of them. There was a golden light glowing between us and then they started speaking. "We are the hunters of Artemis." The girl with the ancient eyes said. "Yeah, well, who are you?" I asked, a sassy hint in my voice. "I'm Zoe Nightshade. And you, Thalia Grace, should have some respect for your saviors." She said sharply. I was about to throw another witting remark at her but the other woman held up a hand. She seemed very calm and wise for a twelve year old. I felt I did owe her respect, if not Zoe. "Ladies. Please. Zoe, do not forget the cause." She said. "Allow me to explain Thalia Grace. I am Artemis. Goddess of the hunt."

Luke's pov. 

Grover had explained to me about the hunters of Artemis. I wasn't sure what to think. A bunch of pretty immortal women who swore off men. Why would they let men into their camp then. And why did they take Thalia. And that was the immediate thing I asked Grover when he explained the huntresses to me. Grover winced. "I expect they want to, maybe, possibly..." He stalled using other words. I just waited for him to run out of words before he rushed out the worst of my fears. "WanttorecruitThaliaintothehunt." I flinched at these words. Hoping. Praying she wouldn't. She couldn't. I wouldn't be able to stand her leaving me after all this time. Being surrounded by all of these beautiful hunters made me realize something. I couldn't be alone without her. In the back of my head I knew I'd have Annabeth and maybe Grover. But still. I couldn't stand it if she left. 

Thalia's pov.

They wanted me to be a huntress. Immortality. And hunting. It was almost to good to be true, but there was a catch. I'd have to swear off men. Then I realized, that meant swearing off Luke. Off our friendship. I couldn't do that. But there was a battle in my head. A battle Luke was fighting in, against me, and with me at the same time. "Luke." I whispered. Zoe and Artemis heard. I know they did. Because Artemis had divine hearing and Zoe piped up her opinion on it. "Thalia. You can't trust men. He'll let you down." That was the boiling point. "How do you know? Luke is a great person. He's more than just a man. He's my friend. My partner." "He'll be your hearts downfall." She argued. "No he won't!" "Yes he will." "What do you know?!" I yelled, losing my temper, even though I knew I shouldn't while in the presence of Lady Artemis. Zoe looked taken aback. Her eyes turned misty then hard. "Enough. I know enough." She said. "Who are you?" I yelled at her. "I GOT KICKED OUT OF MY FAMILY DUE TO A MAN!" Zoe roared. I was not expecting this. As angry as I was at her, I still felt pity. But I couldn't be in the hunt. For Luke's sake. "I'm sorry Lady Artemis, but I must decline. There is someone out there who is mine." I said, then I walked out of the tent. Not realizing the pamphlet still clutched in my hand. Then I saw Annabeth with another 12 year old girl. "When you get older, you should contact us. You'd make a great huntress." The girl said, handing Annabeth a pamphlet, then walking away, waving at Annabeth behind her back. "Thalia!" Luke exclaimed. He ran up and hugged me. Wrapping me tightly in his arms. I didn't hug him back immediately, then a little awkwardly I buried my face in his shoulder. Trying to hug him as hard as he was hugging me, which was impossible. I wanted to stay in his arms forever. But I knew I couldn't be. As he released me and just stared at me. And for once, I didn't glare at him.

Luke's pov

Thalia rejecting the hunt was the best feeling in the world. I wasn't sure why she had done it, but she had, and it made me ecstatic. And being around all these other girls made me realize something. Thalia was easily prettier than all of them. She was the prettiest person I had ever met. And I wasn't sure what it was that made my heart feel like it was swollen up to the size of 10 balloons. But I had a hint. I wasn't sure if it was real or not. But Grover had let something slip when I was interrogating him on whether or not he thought Thalia was going to join. "Luke, look, she loves you. She wouldn't let you go." "What?! How do you know?" "I'm a satyr we can read emotions. Now do these girls got anything to eat. I'm starving." She loves me. He had thought. Maybe he was just reassuring me. But I knew. Or at least I thought, that I love her. Thalia Grace. I love her.