Chapter 25: The Grand Curia, Part 1

Denisius frowned down at his timepiece, which indicated it had just turned three. With a sigh he sat beside Ammas on the crate from which the cursewright was keeping an eye on the bound soldiers. Periodically, Denisius along with either Carala or Casimir would escort one of the soldiers to the privy off the warehouse boss's office, or bring to them skins of water and an occasional bite of food. They seemed bemused to be waited on by an Imperial Princess in this way, and frankly shocked that Ammas was more interested in burying himself in the Swiftfoot ledgers than in carving them up for some depraved cursewright blood ritual. Now that he had finally turned his attention to them, their nervousness at his presence increased precipitously.

"He is not going to hurt you," Carala said to them with a smile. "He is sworn to me."

"Begging your pardon, y'highness, but his father was sworn, too," the most senior of the soldiers replied, glancing anxiously at Ammas. "Didn't stop him from plotting to kill your father."

"If I were planning to kill you, I wouldn't waste any of our provisions on your foolish mouth," remarked Ammas with a scowl. "When your prince returns, we'll see about unbinding you."

The soldiers, who had not been encouraged by seeing Prince Silenio depart the warehouse in the company of the Siraneshi giant who had nearly beaten him to death and the apparently traitorous Lord Marhollow's manservant, did not seem much enthused by this promise. Denisius had to hold back a laugh at the soldier's expression. But his tone was serious when he spoke to Ammas. "What do you think, Ammas? Is Varallo Thray involved with this?"

"In some way, I suppose he is." Ammas toyed with the brass key, his fingers tracing its engraving. The key was an old one, and the emblem had nearly been worn away. "I doubt we'll ever know exactly how, though."

"Does he know about Swiftfoot, do you think?"

"Oh, I'm sure he does. I'm sure he knows the identity of every assassin the Emperor has used since he was appointed Grand Chancellor. Whether the Emperor is aware of how much Varallo knows, I have no idea. I suspect he isn't. Silenio mentioned Varallo didn't question the Swiftfoot they had in custody for very long. My guess would be that wasn't his decision. I think it likely his Majesty doesn't wish to place all his secrets in one man's care." Ammas smiled humorlessly. "Varallo, no doubt, has other ideas."

Denisius nodded slowly. He hadn't much experience with Varallo Thray, but he'd had enough to understand how cagey the man was. "What about the wolf's blood? Did he know about that?"

Ammas frowned. "It's hard to say. If he did, then I would have thought he'd advise Silenio to bring more men to Gallowsport." He shook his head with a snort. "Not that Silenio is a man to take advice from anyone. And it may well be he wanted Silenio to come here with too few men. Or the Emperor did."

Denisius looked at Ammas, astonished. "Why in the world would the Emperor want that? Thray, well, I suppose I could understand, if these wolves are some plot of his -- "

"I don't think it's that simple. If it were he never would have helped you in finding Carala. Her infection, at least, is something I'm sure Varallo didn't want, whatever he might know."

"But why would the Emperor want his son in such danger?"

Ammas didn't answer immediately, watching Carala as she and Casimir built a fire in a stove braced against the warehouse's far wall. He imagined in the bitter cold of Gallowsport winters it kept the place tolerably warm. When he spoke his voice was nearly a whisper, too low even for Carala to hear. "They talk in Munazyr as much as they do in your own lands that Carala is his favorite. Silenio is not. And I think you know what can happen to the Emperor's less favored children."