Chapter 15

You almost walked into someone as you left sick bay, and as you stumbled backwards to avoid a collision, the PADD in your hand clattered to the floor.

"Sorry, sir," you said automatically, stooping to catch the device.

"It's quite alright, (Y/N)."

You froze, then slowly straightened up and met the man's eyes. It was Spock.

"Sir? Um, I . . ." You hesitated. "Thank you for not letting Pollack kill me, sir."

His soft eyes held traces of sympathy and concern that the rest of his face didn't let through, and you felt your face heat up. You stared determinedly back at him.

"Are you certain you are fit to leave sick bay, (Y/N)?"

"I'm fine," you huffed. "Geez, you sound like Doctor McCoy."

"I see no reason for you to insult me."

You grinned. "So why are you in sick bay?"

He suddenly brought his eyes away from yours. "I . . . came to check on your progress." Was it just you, or were his ears turning green?

"Oh." You felt a tad surprised. Didn't the first officer of a starship generally have more important things to do? "Well, thanks. That's sweet. Here, you need to sign this."

Once he had signed the PADD and returned it to you, you started for the door, but you stopped.

"Sir, are you feeling alright?"

His eyebrows contracted slightly. "My present health is perfectly ordinary. Why do you ask?"

"Well, I'm not quite sure how to say this, sir," you said, handing the PADD back to him. "But you spelled your name wrong, sir."

The green in his ears spread across his face, and something occurred to you. Since his blood was green . . . was he blushing? You worked hard not to laugh and embarrass him further. Something told you that any Vulcan would prefer no one to notice when their emotional barriers slipped up.

"My apologies, (Y/N)," he muttered, correcting his signature. "I was quite distracted."

It wasn't until you were in the turbo lift on your way to the bridge that it occurred to you:

Spock must have been distracted by you.