Chapter 1

You were not exactly normal. And that was stating it mildly. For one thing, you had graduated from Starfleet academy at only eighteen years old. For another, you held a particular dislike for pretty much . . . well, anyone. You'd had a few close friends in your childhood, but they had mostly turned out to be back-stabbing sociopaths, or nice people that had been killed by those back-stabbing sociopaths. To top it off, your parents and siblings all had seriously broken relationships with you and each other, and you had always been the outlet for their anger and abuse. As a result of this, you had dedicated yourself solely to your studies, shunning everyone who tried to approach you, and had become a perfect student. Cue more bullying as a nerd.

To escape all the abuse and overall HELL you got for who you were, you had gone to Starfleet academy. Unfortunately, that hadn't exactly freed you from bullying, but at least you now had something to live for. You had graduated as the same freak you went in as, however: scarred, hard-working, rarely speaking, no friends, no desire for friends, and extremely unwilling to trust anyone. So here you were, ready to be stationed on a starship.

Your professor finished with one list and began reading off another. You raised your eyes from your feet only when your name was spoken.

"(F/N) (L/N), the U.S.S. Enterprise."

You glanced around at your fellow graduates, all of whom were older and stronger than you. Currently, several faces were etched with envy. The Enterprise was pretty well-known, and many of your peers had been hoping to get assigned there for weeks. You? You hadn't really cared. Just your luck. You could expect a good pounding from at least six of the people glaring at you before you left. You sighed softly and looked back at your shoes. Welcome to another day of your life.