Chapter 41

Starfleet rushed your orders through as soon as you sent in the signed transfer papers. Even before the original deadline for the transfer, you received your new assignment. In only two days, you would officially leave the Enterprise and take up your position as second officer of the Crisis. You had never been big on interior decorating, so when you began to pack, your bag contained mostly essentials like a hairbrush and uniforms. When you had emptied your closet, however, you discovered an empty hanger. Was one of your uniforms missing? Then it hit you – you had left that particular uniform in Spock's quarters over six months ago. It seemed unlikely that he would still have it, but at the very least, he could tell you what had become of it. You zipped your bag shut and left it on your bunk.

Spock answered his door within seconds, and when he saw that his caller was you, his eyes flashed with an unspoken reaction. Was it apprehension? Anticipation? Perhaps it had been your imagination. You had done nothing that you knew of to warrant either such reaction.

"(Y/N)." He stepped back. "Come in."

You did. The door shut behind you, sealing you in with him, if only temporarily.

"I think I left my uniform here," you said. You offered a grin. "You know, six months ago?"

"Yes," he agreed. "Please wait a moment, and I will bring it."

You stared at him in astonishment as he crossed to a set of drawers, opened them, and began sorting through a series of his own uniforms.

"Why the hell do you still have it?" you exclaimed. "I thought you'd have thrown it out by now!"

"I have been intending to return it," he said, straightening up. He handed you your uniform, as stained and streaked and torn as you had left it, but more neatly folded than any of your uniforms ever were. "However, my memory lapsed whenever it became convenient to do so."

You accepted the uniform. "Thanks. This is the last thing I need to pack."

You turned to go, but a hand was suddenly on your shoulder. You glanced back at him.

"Wait."

Damn it all, why did his eyes have to be so beautiful?! You faced him, not saying a word.

"I did not wish to sign my approval to your transfer," he said.

You blinked.

"It was most illogical, for I can see even now that you desire it greatly."

You found your voice. "What are you trying to say, Spock?" you asked, honestly at a loss.

He hesitated. "I did . . . I do not wish you to leave."

"Why?"

Infuriatingly, he didn't answer right away. The grip on your shoulder tightened. "You said six months ago that you hoped I was capable of improvisation, did you not?"

"Um," you said.

"Perhaps we should find out."

Before you could so much as draw breath, he moved his hand to your waist and pressed his lips onto yours.