2

[Above is an unedited version of the background so you guys can see it in all its glory :) This is the last time I'll gush about the image hehe]

The group made their way to some high ground near the crash landing site. Pidge had set up some technology to see what frequencies the group can listen in on. Lance was scanning the area with some binoculars to get in to the ship while Hunk was trying to coax the group to go back to the Garrison to safety and midnight snacks.

"There's too many down there," Elle observed, "Maybe if there was big enough distraction we could get in."

"Wait! They set up a camera in there and I grabbed its feed!" Pidge turned the laptop towards the other three. On screen was a man with a white tuft of hair on front that was strapped down to a gurney. He looked extremely panicked and warned the soldiers about some aliens that are coming, but the soldiers seemed to brush him off.

"That's Shiro! Pilot of the Kerberos mission! That guy is my hero!" Lance discerned. Pidge noted that the rest of the crew was missing. Could it be they were still alive somewhere in space?

"They'll destroy us. We have to find Voltron!" Shiro tried to get the soldiers to heed his warning. But none of them listened. The Garrison probably thought that he lost his mind after being in space for so long. It wasn't long after that the Garrison noticed a prosthetic and decided to sedate Shiro.

Lance and Pidge's conversation was exactly what was on Elle's mind. Shiro was such a legend amongst the cadets, most people from the Garrison in general. How traumatic was Shiro's year in space? What was out there?

"We have to get him out," Pidge decided.

Immediately, Hunk disarmed that motion. "Hate to be the voice of reason, always. But weren't we watching on TV because there was no way to get past those guards?"

"That was before we were properly motivated." Lance replied. Then Lance and Pidge started brainstorming ways to get into the ship.

"What about a distraction?" Elle asked. As if on cue something detonated a large explosion nearby, startling Hunk.

"Is that the aliens? They got here so quick!"

"No, they were a distraction! For him!" Pidge pointed at a hover bike sneaking behind the Garrison as their attention was diverted. "The Garrison's headed toward the blast and he's sneaking in from the other side!"

Lance appeared irritated by the person who was rushing in the ship. "No way! Oh he is not going to beat us in there! That guy is always trying to one-up me!" The mysterious person seemed familiar, but Elle couldn't put her finger on it.

"Who is it?" Hunk asked.

"Keith!" Lance said irritably, making it clear to Elle that Lance saw Keith as a rival and confusing Pidge.

"Are you sure?" Hunk asked.

"I'd recognize that mullet anywhere!"

"Why are you hyper aware of what his hair looks like?" Elle asked as she followed Lance and Hunk down to side of the hill. The four rushed in to the foreign space craft. She didn't get an answer.

Once they made it to a door, Lance was the first one to enter the room and immediately rejected the idea of Keith rescuing Shiro from being tested on by the Garrison. Keith seemed confused by Lance's presence. 

"Who are you?" Keith asked Lance. Lance tried acting as if he was too cool for Keith.

"Who am I? The name's Lance." When Keith still clearly didn't recognize the name, Lance's confidence seemed to waver. The two went back and forth as Lance tried to get Keith to remember who he was, but Keith didn't seem to care for who Lance was as much.

Elle sighed at Lance trying to bicker with Keith. "Come on you two, the explosion's not going to distract them forever." Elle brushed past Pidge and Hunk to make her way back to the entrance. From the doorway Hunk peered through binoculars to check how far the Garrison is. 

"Guys! They're coming back and they do not look happy!" Hunk said with large concern. Elle, Pidge, and Hunk all ran to where Keith and Lance were.

"Uh, mind if we catch a ride with you?" Hunk asked and got no reply in return. Elle felt kind of bad for using Keith for an exit plan after Lance's behavior. 

Elle tried climbing on but the sudden addition of Hunk's weight caused the bike to jerk upwards. Elle settled for sitting behind Keith and helped Pidge secure Shiro by holding on to his legs. When Keith started the engine, Elle balanced herself by throwing an arm around Keith's torso and keeping the other secured on Shiro's leg. 

"Sorry about this," Elle apologized shyly. 

"Can't this thing go any faster?" Lance complained. 

"We could toss out some non-essential weight." Keith talked back. Elle chuckled to herself, Lance seemed pretty nice but it was a good one. 

"Big man! Lean left!" Keith shouted to Hunk. Hunk leaned over and helped Keith maneuver the bike. It was pretty badass until Hunk pointed out a cliff ahead. 

Keith didn't seem the least bit intimidated, which scared the wits out of Elle even more. She felt Keith lean forward and rev up the engine so she got a tighter grip on both Shiro and Keith. The bike swiftly flew off the cliff, leaving the land rovers to watch the teens escape.

"What are you doing? You're going to kill us all!" Lance yelled at Keith as they were in free fall. 

"Shut up and trust me!" Keith shot back at Lance as he worked to keep the vehicle from crashing. Avoiding the impact of the ground below, Keith drove away from the Garrison and into the night where they would be too far gone for the Garrison to follow.