5 - Best Laid Plans

Or maybe it wasn't his only chance. Maybe she'd realise by herself?

Leander remained in two minds about it, but unfortunately Trenthurst didn't. He should have woken with a headache and no recollection, but maybe fate was a spiteful thing for he was almost as good at holding his liquor as he claimed to be. Not only had he not forgotten, but he wouldn't let Leander forget either. It was brought up when they played cricket one freezing day, again when they went walking through the paradise gardens, and yet again when they went to the theatre, during the second act, causing a man in the third row to turn around and start a furious argument with Trenthurst and Hatcher. They were thrown out, which suited Trenthurst anyway: he had wanted to go to the races but discovered there were none in winter and had had to make do with a play. This had put him in high dudgeon all afternoon and made everyone keen to avoid his bad side.

It was four days before their leave would be up and they'd return to the front lines of battle. This meant tomorrow and the day after were the only real opportunity to enjoy themselves one final time before they had to pack up and go, but so far none of them had come up with a suggestion everyone deemed sufficiently good. Trenthurst complained bitterly about this as they marched away from the theatre and towards the club with a viciously cold wind in their faces. Their leave was almost over and they still hadn't made plans to celebrate properly, and now it was too late and they might as well pack up and go tomorrow. The time had been wasted before it had even happened.

Leander listened with his head down against the wind and had an idea.

"What about Capple?"

"Capple?" exclaimed Trenthurst. The name was similar to the sound his coat was making, flapping in the breeze. Perhaps it was this which had inspired Leander.

"Lingarton holidays there. Says it's marvellous."

"Oh, well if Lingarton says."

"The place with the waterfall?" Fawcett asked, looking interested. "It's excellent for swimming. My second cousin owns a lodge inn there. Spends all his time hunting. Reckon he could get us good prices on bed and board."

"Swimming, in winter?" Trenthurst was sceptical. Leander shot a derisive look at him.

"No? I'm game. Whyever not, old chap?"

"Just surprised your leg can manage it," he replied. "You can't even win over that lady you're set on." The idea of a little holiday had done the trick: his expression was changing swiftly from sullen to ebullient. "Capple, eh? Well, why not? These last days might not be such a bore after all. We can get back to the glorious war in top spirits."

"'Oh, we brave few'," quoted Fawcett.

"Quite," said Trenthurst, looking satisfied.

"I'll hire us a cart," Leander suggested, feeling pleased he had made everything right. "Fawcett can drive us to his cousin's place. What say you?"

"We say aye!"

"We'll meet by the church on Garriote Street, ten o'clock, and drive up to Capple."

"Better make it nine o'clock," said Trenthurst. "What a jolly party we'll make." He turned and smirked discreetly at the others, and Blythe and Hatcher sniggered quietly. It could have meant absolutely anything, but whatever the joke was Leander must have missed it.

"Excellent," he said, and wondered where he could find a vehicle in time.