EMP

Abe holds Dariela's hand and I walk over to him, "Abe, you and Jackson go and take care of the EMP. Robert and I will take care of Dariela."

"Are you sure?"

I nod, "Yes, now go."

Trotter comes over the intercom, "They found us."

Jackson looks over to Abe, "You need to put the EMP in place. Now."

Abe nods and looks down to Dariela, "I'll be back." Jackson and Abe run off with the EMP, Robert and Jackson had been working on.

I look over to Robert, "What can we do?"

"Let's see if we can't neutralize the effects of the acid."

Dariela sets up and Robert finishes his little mixture, "They weren't kidding about maternal instincts kicking in and all that. I'm more worried about this potion working than the F-18s turning us into a fiery afterthought."

Robert chuckles, "Welcome to parenthood. You girls will learn soon that the word "I" will disappear from your vocabulary. You'll never go to sleep without thinking of your child first, never again blow out birthday candles and make a wish for yourself."

I take a deep breath, "you talk a good game for a guy who ran out on his family."

"Not every parent knows how to share their truth. Doesn't make their love a lie."

"Yeah, but you also kind of turned your family into mutants, didn't you?" Dariela sighs.

Robert nods, "I'm afraid this isn't gonna be pleasant."

"Now that I believe." Dariela winces softly as Robert stickers her with the needle. "Welcome to parenthood, right?"

"Yes, Welcome to parenthood."

"We should get ready for them to cut the power." I look from Robert Dariela. Dariela nods and the three of us head to the kitchen and sit down. Dariela and I buckle ourselves in. The power on the plane cuts off and a few moments later it turns back on. "I guess that means it worked."

Before long Abe and Jackson come running into the kitchen, "You feeling better now?"

"Be better soon. Our lab's a little short of seat belts. We thought it would be best to buckle up, just in case." Robert nods and looks from Dariela to Abe, answering for her as the three of us stand.

"are you all right?"

"Yeah. Let's just get one thing straight." Dariela looks over to me, "Just because we're pregnant, we're not gonna turn this into a whole overprotective thing, right?"

Jackson laughs, "So you're still Knocked up?"

Dariela nods and looks over to Robert, "That's what the doc tells me."

Robert nods, "I think the baby's gonna be fine. I was able to reverse the effects of the acid. Just steer clear of badgers... And otters... Actually, to be safe, let's give a wide berth to the entire Mustelidae family."

"Copy that."

"And same for you" Robert looks over to me.

I nod, "can do."

Abe looks to Robert, "Robert I don't know what to say."

"Oh." Robert looks between Jackson and Abe. "I know that you may never be able to forgive me for Elizabeth. Both of you, hell all three of you," Robert looks to me, before looking back to the boys, "have the right to hate me. But I hope eventually you'll believe me when I say all I wanted was the best for her. And you." He shifts his glaze to Jackson.

Abe and Dariela head upstairs, but Jackson, Robert, and I stay in the kitchen and Robert starts to make some grilled cheese sandwiches. Jackson takes a drink of his beer, "You know, no one's used the stove since we've been here."

I nod, "Microwave, yeah, but the stove, no."

Robert chuckles "Can hardly blame you. With all the globe-trotting and world-saving. But after the stunt we pulled, we deserve a home-cooked meal. Or at least some melted cheese on bread."

"We've changed courses, away from the carrier, so we should be okay. Davies will have trouble finding us." Jackson sighs, "But we're gonna have to go back at some point. Find the others, refuel."

I nod, "And Davies will probably find us then."

Robert shakes his head, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. First, please tell me you remember me making you grilled cheese sandwiches." Robert places two plates on the bar area of the kitchen counter in front of Jackson and I.

"What's with all these questions about what I remember?" Jackson looks over to him.

"Guess I wanted to see where I stood in your memories. Is it all mad scientist? Or if there's still some good in there."

"Like crystal radios."

"Crystal Radios. Grilled cheese sandwiches. Chess."

"I remember chess."

"You were good at chess."

"I was not good at chess. You beat me every time we played."

"Not every time. Pender Island?"

"That's right. I did beat you once. You didn't let me win, did you?"

"No, not even close. I always told you that you needed to think..."

"Five moves ahead. I remember. And I did. And it was never good enough."

"It was enough that day. You were thinking five, six, even seven moves ahead. And you demolished me. That was the happiest loss of my life. I was so proud of you. I am so proud of you. The man you've become. The work you've done. The life you have. This is all very impressive." Robert looks over at me.

"Hardly. The only thing impressive about me is Kat."

"What are you talking about? The sloth, the snake. All Triple-Helix, I'm guessing. You figured out the cure. No one in the government's even come close."

"Yeah, well, that's just it. We're close, but that's not good enough. We, uh we have to find a saber-toothed cat."

"Ooh, that does present a challenge. What with their being extinct."

I sigh, "There's a rumor that we can find one on an island. Called Pangaea." As I make that comment we hear the sound of jets flying by, I look over to Jackson, "How'd Davies find us?"

Jackson gets up and moves to the window as Robert heads to the phone in the kitchen, "I've just emailed you the correct formula. Test it. I assure you it will work. Now leave me and my son alone."

Jackson looks at Robert, shocked, "How could you do that?"

"We underestimated him. He'd just send another plane and then another."

Jackson shakes his head, "You just gave him the TX gas formula. You are killing all the animals and me, Kat, our child, and anyone else with the ghost gene."

"No," Robert shakes his head. "What I'm doing is thinking seven moves ahead."

"How can you say that?"

"I need you to turn off the plane transponders and give your pilot this." Robert hands a note to Jackson.

"What is this?"

"I'm taking you to meet my friends."

"Your friends?"

"That's right. They've been waiting to meet you. Together, we will fix you, fix the animals and save the world."

Jackson scoffs, "After everything that we have been through, how do you expect me to believe a word that you are saying to me?"

Robert shakes his head, "It'll all become clear in Pangaea."

"Pangaea?" I question

"That's right. I'm taking you to meet my friends, the Shepherds, who live on the island of Pangaea."

Jackson heads over to the intercom, "Trotter, I need you to turn off the transponders and go to the following coordinates."