5: Sleep

After a day of planning and fun, they all sat down to dinner. Impa, downcast, nibbled at her dinner.

"Why are you so upset Impa?" Zelda smiled.

"Because, little one, I may do something I will regret tonight."

Zelda's jaw dropped as she finished her meal.

"Twinrova contacted me earlier. I have to take Zelda away tonight. Look after everyone until I get back." Impa whispered to Darunia "They know we're here. Pretend here is a normal ranch, that there is nothing magical about it."

Darunia solemnly nodded. Everyone eventually finished and went on with the evening
Once everyone was tired, they all sat by the fireplace, sipping warmed Lon Lon milk and singing songs.

Impa sighed, these were the moments when Zelda looked the happiest. When the young ones started to yawn, Impa and Darunia carried them to bed.

Impa shook Zelda awake.

"Impa, are we going again?"

"We've been found out."

"Why are we going and not anyone else?"

"You are the most important of the sages and we have a lot of people here who will protect everyone else."

"But Mal won't be alright."

"She will. Darunia has special orders to protect the younger ones at all costs."

"Okay. Let's go." Zelda ran to Nocta and mounted, Impa behind her. The two rode all evening, Zelda sniffling into her sleeve and Impa holding guard. Impa held Zelda tighter as they leapt over the foothill. "Impa, please, couldn't we've taken someone with us?"

"It would've been suspicious."

Zelda started weeping, crystalline tears clouding her eyes as she looked one last time at her home before it vanished from sight.

Impa pressed on, trying to beat the sun. The ride continually jostled the dozing princess awake.

Meanwhile, back at Lon Lon Ranch, Malon woke with a nightmare that her entire family was taken over by evil and they first killed Zelda, then Saria, then Darunia, then Ruto, then everyone else until she was left. She fell back asleep knowing that her best friend was in the same room as her.

Meanwhile, Zelda and Impa reaches their destination- a small cave in Lake Hylia.

"Impa, we can't outrun him forever."

"That's why we have to put Princess Zelda to sleep."

"I understand but I don't want to!"

"It's for Hyrule's own good."

"I can't lose Mal, she'll be devastated, that's not even mentioning Ru and Ria and big sis!" Zelda wept, pleading with Impa.

"Princess, it'll be okay."

"How can you guarantee it?" Zelda cried, her voice breaking.

"I can't, but I can guarantee Malon's happiness." Impa smiled.

"How?"

"She has Ru and Ria to help her through losing you."'

"Impa, can I be put to sleep seeing the dawn?"

"Of course, this won't hurt at all."

Zelda laid down on the flat ground beneath her, watching the sun rise in front of her.

"The Time has come to fall asleep,
The Time has come to turn the tide,
The Hylian hold no longer shall keep,
The time has come for you to hide.

Sleep, your consciousness flies away,
Sheikah traits you shall now embody
Hide now, to save the day,
Time to wake in a different body.

Time has no hold on your spirit,
Flesh no longer binds your soul,
Fly now, do not fear it,
Rest now, for this is your role

Sleep now, rest a while,
So you'll be able to wake with a smile.
Goodnight, princess Zelda."

Impa wept, holding the princess in her arms. She took the princess' veil and held it close to her chest.

Meanwhile, a few hours later, Malon woke up. "Morning Zel!" Malon grinned

"Zel?" Her voice broke

"Zelda!" Malon cried and laid on Zelda's empty bed. Nabooru came in and hugged her.

"Tell big sis Nabooru all about this." Nabooru cried as well.

"My best friend in the whole world has disappeared and I'm so scared cos I dreamed she'd die and I'd have to watch." Malon wept, tears clouding her eyes.