Chapter 27

"What happened?" A scientist demands.

"Where are the rest?" Another pitches in.

Charlotte sits on the gurney, the doctor stitching up her shoulder wound.

She stays slient, looking at the ground, ignoring the thousands of questions being fired at her.

Since they had been rescued, there had been a swarm of men and women, all trying to figure out what exactly had happened on that island, and why they had sent in more than 50 people, and less than 12 had come back.

The doctor stitching her up sees Charlotte's expression as the men fire question after question, and turns to look at the mob of people around her.

"We need some privacy, please" She mutters as she starts making the people step back.

"What? No! Ms. Wilson, no one is telling us what happened. We went into that island with more than 50 men, and returned with less than 12. Not to mention the stray. We need to know what happened." ONe of the officers demands.

At this, Charlotte looks up from the floor and at the officer.

"You want to know what happened?" SHe questions, starting to get angry at them.

The officer nods, staring at her.

Charlotte steps off the gurney, her eyes burning.

"A helicopter crash. A fucking helicopter crash. They crashed into eachother, leaving us grounded. Some of us made it, some of us didn't. We found a guy who wanted to help us, and we made our way to the north side of the island. Which is where we met with the helicopters and are now here on land. With all of you. Are you happy with your answer, officer?" She stops talking to stare at the man, who stays silent.

Charlotte nods and uses her un injured arm to reach up for the curtain.

"Good. Because it's all i've got and I'ts all you're gonna get. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get cleaned up" She retorts as she snaps back the curtains and turning around, and sighing before sitting back at the gurney.

"I'm sorry, It's just. It's been a long week" She mutters as she closes her eyes, exhaustion on her face.

The doctor frowns, taking a look at her face.

Then Charlotte sighs, and opens her eyes.

"I just. I've lived all ny life surrounded ny men who want power and knowledge, and I took it - most of it anyways. But from now ... Their comments are just going to enter through one ear and leave through the other if they don't have something logical to say"

The doctor nods, grabbing tweezers and taking out a piece of shrapnel from Charlotte's neck wound.

Then Charlotte turns to look at the doctor, and she laughs drily.

"I must be driving you crazy with all my chattering" Charlotte says, her tone unamused.

The doctor takes a step forward, continuing with her stitching work.

"No worries. Men can sometimes be emotionless, and if they weren't the ones who went through it, they don't really care" The doctor mutters under her breath.

Charlotte snorts, looking at the curtains in front of her.

"Where did you learn that from?"

____

James sits on a chair. In front of him is an officer, asking him questions.

"Do you know who survived?" He questions as he stares at his pad.

James crosses his arms over his chest.

"Do I know who survived" He asks himself before looking at the soldier "I do happen to know who survived" He tells the officer, angry.

The officer sighs, leaning forward.

"I am going to ask you this once. I'm running out of patience here. I've asked every single one of the survivors, and they all tell me the same thing. That is was a helicopter crash. But you know what Conrad? I really don't buy that crap" he tells him, the veins on his neck starting to show.

James shrugs, leaning forward on his seat to match the officer.

"What do you want me to say? That there was a giant monkey and it crashed us all the helicopters down and then there was a giant creature that killed half of us?" He questions. Then he leans forward.

"Because it was not. That didn't happen. We had a helicopter crash. There was a helicopter malfunction, and we crashed. That's all I have to say" He tells him angrily before standing up to leave.

But he stops when he sees her.

Charlotte stands there, looking at him, her face showing no emotion as her hair swishes around her face lightly.

James smiles at her, waving slightly. and she smiles back softly for a moment, but it fades away.

He starts to walk towards her as a group of people pass in front of her. And when they clear away, she's gone.

Just like that. No trace, not the wisp of her black hair rounding a corner, not the sight of her army green pants, not her smile.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

It is as if she had vanished to thin air.

And just like that, James was left alone.

And he couldn't believe she was gone.

__

Still missing the epilogue, don't go yet!!