Chapter 4

"Hello and welcome" 

The projector lightens the room. 

James Conrad watches as Charlotte enters the conference room, and stands on the very back, leaning against the wall. 

Her cargo pants and combat boots indicate that she isn't a scientist, but, something else. 

She looks at him, making eye contact. Blue shirt, short hair. No doubt he was handsome. Striking blue eyes, defined jawline... Charlotte snaps out of her trance and looks at the front of the room, where a man is introducing himself.  

"I'm Landsat Field Supervisor, Victor Nieves" He says. He points to one of the people on the front row. 

"This is my colleague Steve Woodward, our data wrangler" The man raises his hand and waves. 

Nieves  looks at the projector and changes the slide. 

"Our expedition takes us to the place where every nautical trade route known to man has avoided for centuries" The slide switches to an image of an island "the island is surrounded by a perpetual storm system, allowing it to remain hidden from the outside world" 

He looks at all the people on the room. 

"But with Colonel Packard's helicopter transport, we will be the first to break through to the other side" He makes a pause "We're also pleased to be joined, for the first time by the recourse exploration team. Led by Mr. Randa, and accompanied by biologist Miss San, and geologist, Mr.Brooks" The three of them wave from the side of the room. 

"Our focus will be on the island's surface, theirs what lies beneath" At his words, Charlotte stands upright. What, exactly, lies beneath?

"Mr. Brooks" Nieves calls him up to the podium.

Brooks walks to the podium.

"Simple, really. We'll use explosives to shake the earth and create vibrations, helping us to map the subsurface of the island"

Charlottes eyebrows furrow. There are about a thousand other ways to do that. 

Brooks changes the slide. 

"Well fly in over the south shore and then strategically drop seismic charges to better help us understand the density of the earth"

"So you're dropping bombs?" Charlotte questions. Everyone looks at the back of the room where she is. 

"MMMM, Scientific Instrument" Brooks says, trying to oppose her. 

"You hear that boys? We're scientists now!" One of the army man says, earning a laugh from the right side of the room.  

"You guys are not scientists" A man says, crossing his arms. 

"We'll then land and make base camp for ground excursions led by Ms. Wilson" Nieves continues to say. He motions to Charlotte. Everyone looks at her direction, and she raises her hand to acknowledge them. "And Mr.Conrad. Major Jack Chapman?" The man says, stepping back. 

Chapman steps into the podium. 

"Alright. Once on the island, the storms interference will block all radio contact with the ship. That means we'll be by ourselves." The slide changes "3 days later, the refuel team will meet us here on the north end of the island. That may be our only safe departure for an unknown period of time. So, tip for everybody. Don't miss it, please"

________

Charlotte walks around the dock, watching as people load guns and ammunition into the helicopters, preparing for what will be a long journey. 

She looks both directions before stepping into the room. She carries her lighter, the one her brother had given her before he was drafted. 

She holds the light out ahead of  her and sneaks into the dark room. 

The crates, all stacked up ceiling high, stare back at her. 

She walks along, but stops when she sees movement on her periphery. 

Conrad is there, looking into the crates. 

She walks over to him, and he takes a look at her and closes the lighter. 

"What are you doing down here?" He asks. 

Charlotte smiles and motions to him. 

"I could as you the same thing" 

She walks towards him, looking at boxes. 

"Why does a geological mapping mission need explosives?" She wonders to herself, walking down the hall. 

Conrad walks besides her and chuckles. 

"You weren't listening in class" He says. 

"Oh I was listening. You really believe all that crap they're feeding the others?" She questions as she looks around the room. 

"I didn't say that"

Charlotte looks at him as they walk slowly across the room, watching the wooden crates around them.  

"I'm guessing you have met Colonel Packard. Guys wound up pretty tight" She says, a tint of anger, on her tone.  

Conrad shrugs, hands on his pockets. 

"Well, the man's a decorated war hero. That's the package they come in" Charlotte stops walking and looks into a wooden crate. When she doesn't find anything, she turns around to keep on walking, but Conrad stops her. They stop walking and Conrad turns to face her. 

"And you? Isn't a tracking mission a step down from an army ranger?" He asks, his eyebrows raised high in questioning. 

Charlotte looks at him and shrugs "Ex-army ranger. And I did this because I wanted to" 

"And because you wanted the money"  

Charlotte scoffs "Okay, Captain Conrad. What about you? How did British special forces get dragged into all this?" 

James looks at her for a second before continuing.  

"Just Conrad. I'm decommissioned" 

Charlottes eyebrows raise, and she crosses her arms over her chest "Mm-hmm" 

James looks at the floor for a second. 

"And they offered me money" 

Charlotte's face breaks into a wide smile. 

"Wow! I didn't think of you as a mercenary!" She says in a playful tone. 

" And you didn't strike me as the type of girl who would take take money from a mere stranger" 

Charlotte's smile fades away, and she keeps a straight face. 

They are both silent for a moment, staring at each other. 

Then she smiles the tiniest of smiles. 

"I like you, Conrad" She says as she pats his arm.

Then she does the unexpected. She kisses his cheek. Conrad looks at her with a baffled look. He couldn't believe that she had had the wits to do that. But considering it, she had been in the army. 

 Charlotte smiles at him and starts walking backwards. 

"I look forward to working with you!" She says before offering a playful salute and walking away, leaving Conrad with a baffled expression.

 Why was it that she had kissed him?