Chapter 20

Charlotte looks around her at the giantic bones that creep out of the dirt as they walk up the grassy hill.

Besides her, James does the same.

For a moment she pauses, thinking, of the many times she has been in danger during this trip, deadly threats that could have ended her with a swipe of a hand but didn't. Terrifying creatures that could shock you to death with one growl. She had survived through all that.

she couldnt help but wonder if this was one of those cases.

They continue walking, staring at the bones around them.

And then they stop.

Charlotte's eyes widen when she sees what's in front of her, the smell penetrating in her mind as she tries not to gag.

"Yeah, you smell that? That's death" Hank says as he stares at the valley of bones in front of them, which is enveloped in a slimy green air.

Charlotte grabs her gun from her back, and clutches it tightly, preparing for the worst.

"What the hell is this place?" Brooks wonders at he stares at the valley below them.

Hank looks at him, and then points to the skeletons.

"It's what's left of Kong's parents" Hank says, no emotion on his tone.

Besides Charlotte, Mason shakes her head.

"I've taken enough photos of mass graves to recognize one" she says.

Packard looks at the team, pointing to the valley with his gun.

"The crash site's just on the other side of this valley"

Charlotte shakes her head slightly, regretting what they are about to do.

"We'll cross through and make it to the highest point west" Packard continues.

Hank shakes his head as he turns to look at Packard.

"Uh-uh. this place is a real no no sir" He says, shaking his index finger at him.

"We need to be going to the north site right now" one of the remaning sceintists mutters quickly.

Packard turns around, staring at the scientist.

"And you're welcome to do that, my man. By yourself" He shakes his head, turning to look at the soldiers.

'I'm not leaving Jack out there. Now, who's with me?" He questions.

"We can make it" James utters, making Charlotte look at him surprised.

She shakes her head, ignoring what Packard is saying and turning to look at him.

"What do you mean we can make it? We'll probably be dead before we cross this graveyard" She whsipers roughly at him as she points to the valley.

James looks at her, shrugging.

"I mean, they have you and me, we might have a chance" he whispers back.

Charlotte scoffs, shaking her head in amazement as the soldiers start walking forward.

She trails behind them, but not before she hears what Hank has to say.

"I've only been here 28 years. What do I know?" He mutters, before stepping forward with Charlotte and James.

___

As they walk through the valley, Charlotte can't help but feel panic curl up on the back of her throat.
All the training she had done through the years, every simulation that she had passed or failed, every mission she had achieved...