Chapter Forty-Five: Hitched

~ Love don't need a reason, baby I don't see how I can love you anymore than I do today ~

Chapter Forty-Five: Hitched

"Are you sure?" Max asked for the thousandth time. I giggled, letting Storm crawl up onto my shoulders.

"Max, if I didn't wanna marry you, I would've said no when you proposed," I spoke. Max just smiled a little, nodding.

"I know," he said, keeping his eyes on the road. "But that's not what I mean, little dove. I mean are you sure about right now? We can wait if you want to, angel. I didn't wanna push you into it."

I shook my head, reaching back and scratching the husky behind me. "Baby, I want nothing more than to marry you right now."

Max bit his lip. "As long as you're sure..."

I giggled, leaning over and kissing his cheek. "I'm sure, Max," I said, smiling. "More sure than I've ever been of anything."

Max let out a small breath of relief, relaxing slightly as his hand found my thigh.

We were on our way to Vegas, and no matter how many times I twisted the ring around my finger, I still wasn't used to the thought of being married to the love of my life. Once we'd left the park, Max and I threw together enough clothes for a few days and packed everything, including Storm and Mayella, into Max's car. I left a note for Lucas and Sophie under their door, and Max and I were gone with the wind, driving into the night with loving on the mind.

"We're crazy, you know that?" I laughed. "It's four in the morning and we're driving to Vegas to get married."

Max chuckled. "Yeah. How long have we been on the road?"

I glanced down at Storm as he settled in my lap. "Eight hours," I said. Max frowned, shifting slightly.

"We're gonna have to stop soon," he told me. "I'm getting tired."

I shook my head. "I can drive."

Max shook his head right back. "I don't want you to have to do that, Symphony," he said. "Especially since I'll be asleep."

I shrugged. "I'll turn the radio on and be fine," I said. "Besides, if I get tired, I'll pull over. I promise."

Max glanced over at me. "Are you positive?" he asked. "We can pull into a hotel, baby. I don't mind."

I bit my lip. "I wanna marry you," I told him. "The faster we get there, the quicker I have your last name."

Max smiled softly. "Alright," he agreed. "Go ahead and leash up the animals. We'll pull into a rest stop, let them pee, and then we can swap."

I nodded, slowly reaching for the two leashes. Storm wasn't a big fan of his harness and leash, but he loved the outside, so he put up with it. Mayella loved her leash though, and it was pretty cute, how excited she got when she saw it.

"Ella or Storm?" I asked, watching Max pull into a rest stop. He chuckled, shaking his head a little as he parked.

"In case you didn't notice last time we stopped," he began. "Storm won't go when I've got him. So I think I'll take Mayella."

I laughed, nodding slightly as I offered him Ella's leash. He smiled his thanks as we got out of the car, beginning to walk up and down the sidewalk to let the animals do their business. Max reached for my unoccupied hand, intertwining our fingers as we walked.

"I'm afraid we'll do this and you'll regret it," Max whispered suddenly. "I'm really afraid I pushed you into this."

I sighed lovingly. "Max, you didn't," I spoke. "I love you, and nothing is gonna change that. Why wait to do something we both know is inevitable?"