Chapter Ten: Fearful

~ But baby how we spoon like no one else ~

Chapter Ten: Fearful

I felt hands snake their way over my eyes once I stood up from putting lasagna in the oven, a warm body pressing against me from behind about a week later. "Guess who?" a gentle voice murmured into my ear. I giggled, grabbing his hands and turning in his arms. Max grinned, kissing my forehead.

"Hey there cutie," he greeted, his arms snaking around my waist. I smiled, my palms coming to rest on his chest.

"Hi," I laughed. "Tell me now, exactly how'd such a good lookin' guy get into my apartment?"

Max chuckled. "Lucas let me in on his way out to his date," he explained, letting me come closer. I nodded as he bit his lip, staring at me for a moment.

"I missed you..." Max whispered. I giggled again, watching him.

"I missed you too," I told him, and I meant it, feeling his fingers beginning to gently rub my back. I hadn't seen him for more than fifteen minutes at a time for the past week, because of our conflicting schedules, and I'd missed him like crazy. We'd texted nearly constantly though, and called each other nearly every night before bed, spending ours buried in our phones to speak to each other.

I slowly pulled away, setting the timer for the lasagna before taking his hand, guiding him Into the living room. I pulled him down beside me, watching as Storm jumped up and made himself comfy in Max's lap. Max laughed, watching me smile as I turned on the stereo in the corner.

"He really likes you," I laughed, running my fingers along Storm's back. He purred and fell over cutely in Max's lap. Max grinned, reaching over and intertwining our fingers together. "Almost as much as I like you," I added.

Max laughed, a light blush creeping across his cheeks. He lightly nudged Storm from his lap, replacing the unhappy cat with my legs and bringing me closer. Storm took to my lap then, watching as Max and I fell into smooth conversation.

"So where is this mysterious piano?" Max asked, his fingers tracing lines on my calves. "You've said it's somewhere in your apartment, and you played one for me that night I called you when I couldn't sleep."

I smiled, slowly shifting Storm out of my lap and taking Max's hands, pulling him up. "C'mon," I giggled, tugging him behind me down the hall.

Max chuckled as he allowed me to pull him into my music room. "Oh wow," he smiled, looking at the ivory colored piano on the corner. "It's beautiful, Symphony," Max grinned, following me as I moved into the corner. I gestured to the piles and piles of music against the wall, stacked neatly and categorized by how much I liked how each piece sounded.

"Pick something from one of the first three piles," I told him, settling onto the bench. Max watched me, slowly smiling as I absently played a simple melody.

"This is all really good stuff," Max mused, picking something and standing up. He came behind me and set the sheet music up so I could see it, before his arms slowly wrapped around my neck, kissing the top of my head as I leaned against his body.

"'Seal Lullaby,'" I smiled, flipping through the music. I felt him nod, kissing the top of my head. I flipped back to the beginning of the piece, looking over the first few measures before setting my fingers in the correct places. I hummed as I played, loving the movements of the piece and just how damn pretty it was. This was near the top of the first pile, one of my favorites to play and relax with.

"Gosh that's beautiful," Max whispered after I'd finished. I smiled and nodded, feeling his fingers running along my shoulder. "That also reminds me..."