Chapter Eighteen: Spoiled

~ Never really had luck, couldn't ever figure out how to love... ~

Chapter Eighteen: Spoiled

Max hoisted me on his to back as he carried me from his old bedroom, making me giggle as we made our way into the kitchen for breakfast. Max's parents smiled at us as Max sang out to whatever random song played on the radio, spinning and making me laugh as I wrapped my arms around his neck, holding tightly as he danced in the middle of the kitchen. He eventually broke off into laughter, setting me down on the ground and kissing my forehead.

"Good morning, guys," Dan spoke, drinking his coffee and reading his paper. Max and I grinned, looking over at him and giving our greetings. Max pulled me over to where Charlotte had poured Max a cup of coffee and was holding another mug, watching us with a smile. Max took his cup, kissing his mother's cheek and thanking her sweetly.

"Do you drink coffee, Symphony?" she asked lightly. I chuckled.

"Oh, yes ma'am," I spoke. "I live on the stuff."

She laughed. "I guess you kind of have to in order to keep up with Max," she commented jokingly. I giggled and nodded as she handed me a warm cup, letting me thank her as Max began fixing plates for both of us. He offered me mine as he guided me over to the kitchen table, setting his food and coffee down before pulling my chair out for me. I thanked him quietly as he pushed me in, before sitting next to me, kissing my cheek before beginning to eat beside me.

"So, Symphony," Dan spoke, setting his paper aside as Charlotte came with two plates for him and herself. "Max tells us you co-own a coffee shop with your father?"

I smiled and nodded. "Yes sir," I said politely. "My dad runs the more technical aspects of it all, and I just run it," I laughed. "He does the financial things and I work there and make sure everything runs smoothly."

Charlotte glanced at his son beside me. "Isn't that where you two met?"

Max nodded. "Mhmm," he responded, taking a sip of his coffee. "Where we met and where I found out this girl can make a mean iced coffee."

His parents laughed as he looked at me and winked, his feet tangling with mine and his leg pressing against my thigh. "Where did you grow up, Simmy?" Charlotte asked. I swallowed my food, absently fingering my mother's dog tags.

"Seattle," I told her. "Born and raised. But my mother always loved the city of Chicago, so after graduation, Dad and I started the shop down there, with the help of one of my best friends."

"It's awful wet up there," Dan commented. I laughed lightly, nodding.

"It is," I said. "I hated it. Chicago's weather is much nicer; all the cold and less of the wet."

His parents chuckled as Max leaned back, finished with his breakfast. He slowly pulled my hair tie out of my braid, delicately beginning to pull my braid apart with his long fingers, letting the red strands fall down my back in soft waves. "Your hair is such a pretty color," he whispered to himself, tangling his fingers in it. I smiled a little, blowing my bangs from my face as he brushed through my waves, finishing my breakfast.

"So what do you like to do for fun, Symphony?" Charlotte asked, taking everyone's plates up. I thought for a moment, feeling Max take my hand.

"Read," I laughed. "I like to read and play video games, and play piano... I like to bake, too."

Max nodded. "Her homemade bread is fantastic," he told his parents. "Her banana nut bread isn't half bad either," he winked, causing me to giggle softly.

"Oh, we love banana nut bread around here," Dan told me. "We might have to ask you to make some."

I grinned. "I wouldn't mind that at all," I told them. Dan laughed, taking his paper back up as I stood, kissing the top of Max's head before walking over to where Charlotte was cleaning up. "Is there any way I can help?"