Chapter Twenty-Two: Gifting

~ For the first time in forever, I finally understand ~

Chapter Twenty-Two: Gifting

I smiled at my Christmas tree, the dark room making the lights glow with something like wonder. The white lights made me giggle to myself, kicking my feet slowly and lazily as I sat on the arm of my couch.

A light tap on my door made me look over at my entranceway. I slowly got up, pulling my long sleeved green shirt down around my thighs where it belonged, my leggings clad legs making their way towards my door. I slowly opened it, looking up at a very smiley Max.

"Hi," he greeted, his eyes sweet. "Merry Christmas Eve, lovely."

I smiled, letting my boyfriend in. "Merry Christmas Eve, baby."

Max and I hadn't seen each other all day, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't anxious for his presence. He hadn't spent the night last night, both of us needing to do things, like take care of presents, and we couldn't do that with each other, so having Max within arm's reach was beautiful.

"I missed you, sweet girl," Max whispered, standing behind my couch. I closed the door, pushing my long braid behind my shoulder.

"I missed you too, darling," I murmured, walking over to him and letting him wrap me in his arms. I laced my arms around his neck, feeling him rest his forehead to mine. We stared at each other for a long time, his fingers rubbing my back sweetly.

"Oh," Max smiled, slowly taking my hand. He pulled me towards my couch, and I noticed for the first time he was carrying a small duffle bag. He sat me down on the cushions, but not before kissing the back of my hand, slowly parting from me and kneeling in front of my tree. He unzipped the bag and sat a few presents beneath it, with the rest of them, before tossing it away and into a corner.

"There," Max said, joining me. "Now can I ask why you're sitting in a mostly dark room?"

I smiled a little, feeling Max begin shifting us. He kicked his shoes off and laid down on the couch on his back, shifting me to lay on top of him, just holding me sweetly. I laid my head on his chest, listening to his heart beating.

"The tree looks prettier this way," I whispered, gazing at the artificial thing of beauty. Max followed my stare, watching me, his eyes conveying the deepest love I'd ever experienced, his fingers playing with the tip of my braid as he smiled gently.

"It does, doesn't it?" Max was lost in his world, watching me so sweetly. I set my chin on his chest, noticing his brown eyes sparkling with not only his love, but my love as well.

"The first part of my present comes tonight," Max whispered slowly. "A long, slow, back rub..."

I relaxed as Max began pressing his fingers into my back. I felt myself melting, molding against my boyfriends body as he pulled the back of my shirt up and rubbed my skin there, finding knots and massaging them out of my muscles.

Max laughed lightly. "You're cuter when you're relaxed," he whispered. I made a small noise of approval, feeling my boyfriend's chest rumbling as he spoke. He chuckled again, beginning to hum gently to me as he continued to work at my back. I wondered if he knew the effect he had on me.

"God..." I whispered, shifting and nuzzling into his neck. Max moved to my shoulders, pressing lightly.

"Feel good?" he asked. I nodded, wrapping my arms around his neck and letting him press his fingers deeper into my skin. His hands slid up the back of my shirt again to get a better effect, his cool hands sending chills through my skin, all the way through my bones.