• Chapter 23 •

Start from the beginning

Emma's usual selection consisted of mysteries, adventures, and action filled books. Oh but not today. Today, Emma picked the sappiest romance novel she could find in the room. Because it was the first time she didn't get sick to the stomach at the thought of it.

She wanted to immerse herself in this world. This kind of story. She wanted all the cliche moments and lines. And all with him. Only him.

Killian's smile lingered on his face, and as did the smitten expression on his face and in his eyes as Emma walked upstairs.

Gods... he just- he couldn't explain it. She made him so frustratingly happy that he didn't even know what to do with himself.

"So when are you taking her out?" Alice asked bluntly as she casually cleared the table.

"Eh, what?" Killian asked, stumbling over his words. As far as he knew, his mother knew nothing of their relationship.

He was oh so very wrong.

"Oh, lovey, if you think I don't know two teenagers with yearning looks and doughy eyes, you don't know your mum all too well," Alice said with an affectionate laugh.

Killian simply stared at her with a surprised expression.

"Don't worry, I think it's cute," Alice went on, ruffling his hair.

"Muuum," Killian grumbled, fixing his hair. "It's not cute," he said crossing his arms.

Alice raised an eyebrow at him, daring him to even try denying it again.

He blushed fiercely with a little smile tugging at his cheeks, looking away.

"Awww you've got it bad, haven't you?" Alice teased, pinching his cheeks the way she knew he hated.

"Right, that's enough. I'm going to bed. Night, Mum," Killian stated, rolling his eyes.

"I love you," Alice called to him as he ran away from her up the stairs.

"Yeah, yeah, love you too."

Alice smiled to herself. Her baby was growing up fast. Too fast. It seemed like it was just yesterday when he was just a little baby boy learning to crawl. One more year and he'd be done with high school. Then college, jobs, marriage, kids...

And she sure hoped it would all come with Emma.

With a sigh, Alice turned to the sink full of dishes left to clean. With Brennan gone and her working overtime every day to keep up with everything, the little things had been weighing her down. She glanced down at her phone hesitantly, her thumb lingering over a certain contact.

Did she need his help?

No, not yet. There were still things she could do. Sell some things, maybe some jewelry or extra house decorations...

Not yet.

* * *

Killian was making his way to his room when he saw a little light still on in Emma's room. He smiled faintly and quietly pushed open her door, hoping to bid her a proper good night.

Her book-light was the one that was on. Her head had rolled to the side, resting against the frame of the bed as she breathed steadily.

Killian's smile grew. Even just looking at her, his adoration for her swelled.

He approached her bed quietly, doing his best not to wake her, and gently removed her glasses from her face. He placed a bookmark in the book she was reading and set it on the ground, then rearranged her position to a more comfortable one under the covers.

Killian knelt down on the floor, just glancing over her face. Then he leaned in, gently pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"Good night, Emma."

* * *

The night that had begun calmly slowly evolved into a chaotic storm. Rain hit the windows harshly as the wind blew relentlessly. Lightning flashed in the sky with thunder crackling through the air soon after.

Emma woke up with a start at the loud rumbling. She hugged the covers closer to herself, covering her head with her pillow.

Turning towards her nightstand, Emma found her glasses. She didn't remember taking them off, but at this point she couldn't care. She put them on and quickly slipped out of her room.

The hallway was dark. Too dark for her liking. Thunder boomed once more, making Emma jump with a shout. She scampered to the door of Killian's room, opening it fearfully.

He was asleep. Emma sighed. She didn't want to wake him up. She swallowed thickly, closing the door again, and began to make her way back to her room.

Thunder crashed.

Emma froze in her place, closing her eyes until it passed.

Then there was a hand on her, shoulder turning her gently around. She looked up, meeting his eyes with fear in her own.

"You came to my room. I only noticed when you closed the door, I'm sorry. Are you alright?"

Without an answer, Emma rested her head against his chest seeking comfort.

"I don't like thunder," she said simply.

Killian smiled softly. He ran his hand over her back, pressing a kiss in her hair before resting his chin on the top of her head.

"It's okay," he whispered, holding her close. "Let's go downstairs."

Emma didn't question him. She followed closely behind him on the stairs and held his hand tightly.

Killian told her to sit on the couch. He was looking for something. A few minutes later, he managed to light a fire in the fireplace.

"There we go," Killian smiled, turning to look at her. He grabbed the comforter from the smaller couch, then moved to sit with her.

"Come here," he beckoned with open arms. Emma shyly smiled, crawling into his lap. He held her close, whispering soothing words in her ear as he laid little kisses on her skin. He rubbed her back when she jumped in fear. Nuzzled his nose against hers when she clung to his shirt.

Killian met Emma's eyes, smiling proudly when at last she didn't react to the booming sound. His forehead touched hers, lips brushing gently. He kissed her softly, smiling against her when she melted into his touch, pulling him closer.

"Thank you," Emma whispered, leaving little, parting kisses on his lips.

Killian smiled gently, caressing her cheeks with care.

"Any time."

It didn't take long after for Emma to fall asleep. Her head was against him, her chest rising and falling steadily. Her nose was nuzzled into him, hands holding him close.

It was precious. And it was a moment he would never forget.

Getting up gently and carefully so he wouldn't wake Emma, Killian began to make his way upstairs to clear the way so he could bring her to bed.

He stopped in his tracks at the sight of a paper on the kitchen counter.

Tribal South African vase: $50
Black Leather Armchair: $250
Traditional China Set: $40
Couture Diamond Necklace: $200
Emerald Royal Earrings: $150

The list went on and on, but Killian recognized every item. They belonged to his family. And they were... for sale?