•Chapter 32•

His hand gripped hers tightly. Protectively. She stood slightly behind him, eyes stone cold. The air was thick- silent, yet loud with tension. How dare he show up with no warning after leaving Killian and Alice for so long? Emma was furious. She placed the hand that wasn't claimed by Killian's on his shoulder, trying her best to give him any comfort she could.

"Well I'm here for Mum of course," Brennan slurred, a crazed look in his eyes. Killian furrowed his brows in suspicion. Was his father drunk?

"She's not home. You can bloody well leave," Killian stated, bringing Emma further behind him as he realized just how drunk Brennan was.

"N-now who's the lass you're hiding from dear old Pop, hm?" he asked, cackling as he leaned against the door frame. His son's jaw tightened.

"She's my girlfriend, and you aren't coming anywhere near her, so you'd best leave her the bloody hell alone!" Killian growled protectively. Brennan only laughed drunkenly in response, mocking his son as he peeked around him to glance at Emma.

"Stop looking at me like that, you sleaze-bag," she said in disgust, shifting uncomfortably under his gaze. Her eyes eventually fell to the ground, unsure where else to look.

"Emma, go upstairs," Killian commanded in a low voice.

"What? No-"

"Emma is it?!" Brennan shouted before she could reply. He laughed again, turning to Killian with a cold smile. "Give that to your Mum," he spat, tossing a folder at him. "Tell her I found out all about her fucked up little game."

With his final words spoken, Brennan stomped away with anger resonating from each step. Killian shut the door, finding it as heavy as the weight that suddenly seemed to hang over him. He slumped against it. Anger and sadness took over his features. His fists clenched and unclenched repeatedly as his feelings brewed within him. Killian let out a frustrated sigh before his gaze landed on Emma.

His eyes softened at the sight of her. He shook his head, stepping closer to her when he saw her arms outstretched and open. He folded his arms around her in a tight embrace, closing his eyes and fighting the liquid sadness that begged to be set free.

"I'm not gonna say I'm sorry, cause I know that's not what you want right now," Emma said softly. She pulled away just enough to lift her head off of his chest and looked up to meet his eyes. His dazzling blue eyes that still glinted beautifully through his tears.

It hurt her heart. It really did. When a tear slipped from his eyes and he turned his head away in shame, she broke.

"Hey. Look at me."

"Emma-"

"Look at me."

Killian turned his head back to her, still avoiding her eyes. Emma reached up to cup his cheeks gently, wiping away his tears with her thumbs.

"It kills me to see you cry," she whispered, her lip between her teeth. "How fucking dare he put tears in your eyes."

Emma shook her head, upset, and brushed away the newly shed drops of sadness. The audacity of that man to show up in his state and dump it all on his own son. She leaned up, pressing her lips to Killian's softly.

"It's gonna be okay," she mumbled against him. Killian let out a choked sob as he kissed her back, pulling her closer to him. He gripped her like oxygen, kissing her furiously. Urgently. Then he was backing her to the nearest wall, tears still trickling down his cheeks when he pulled her up to wrap her legs around his waist.

Eventually, Killian's lips fell away from Emma's, and his head made its way to the crook of her neck, crying quietly. He hated that she was seeing him like this. He hated how weak he felt. From the last time he'd been upset, he'd learned, though, shutting her out was not the way to go. It didn't help anyone.