"Morning, squirt," Zayn smiled.

        "Sleep well, baby?" Tricia asked her daughter.

        "Yeah, I didn't have any nightairs," she said eating a piece of her food.

        Zayn smiled at her sympathetically. Safaa had always had a problem with nightmares. "That's good, squirt."

        "Sunshine, can you go get Doniya, the bus will be here in ten minutes and she needs to eat," Tricia asked.

        Zayn nodded knowing that his younger sister was probably busy doing her makeup or hair.

        He ran up the stairs and knocked on Doniya's closed door. "Ma said you need to hurry up so you can eat!"

        "Yeah, yeah" was the reply he got.

        "Whatever, but don't expect to eat breakfast at school either!" He called leaving her door and entering his own room. His project sat in the corner of his room with a blanket draped over it. He grabbed it along with his backpack and phone.

        A few minutes later he wet downstairs to find Doniya hurrying to gulp down her food while Safaa put on her shoes. He placed the painting by the door and went over to Tricia giving her a kiss on the cheek. "Bye, Ma."

        "Bye, Sunshine," she smiled at her son.

        Zayn waited for Safaa to kiss his mother bye as well before they both left out the door to wait for the bus. He wished that he had a car, hell, a license. It would be a lot easier to haul his artwork around and, plus, he could spend more time in his spot in the morning because he wouldn't have to worry about missing the bus.

        When it arrived Doniya, as usual, was late running out of the house in a rush (the bus was even late, luck was on her side at the moment).

        The Malik haul got on the bus, Zayn, sitting in his normal seat in the very back. He got the back to himself because he was the only 16 (or up) student that used the bus, except his best friend (who was only using it because he's grounded from his car because he totaled the front of it).

        The whole ride he made sure none of the primaries touched his painting until his best friend got on.

        "Zee, you've replaced me?" Niall asked in fake horror seeing that the painting was in the spot beside Zayn.

        "Sorry, Nialler, you're just not worth it," Zayn played along.

        Niall scooted into the empty seat in front of him and turned around to face him, "Not worth, what? The dry mouth feeling you get when you loose all your spit from drooling over me?"

        "Oh, yeah, that's so it," Zayn rolls his eyes.

        "So, can I see the painting?" He asks.

        "Nope," Zayn replies.

        "C'mon, please!" the Irishman begged.

        Feeling suddenly irritated Zayn snapped, "No."

        "Touche, damn man, your mood swings are worse than a thirteen year old girl on her period's."

        "Flattering," Zayn replied now smiling from Niall's comment.

        "See, now, you're happy," Niall implied.

        "Uh-huh," his reply was lazy as the kids piled out of the bus. The schools were within a block of eachother so they made primary and sixth forms walk to their building.

        Zayn held onto his painting getting off the bus. He and Niall began their walk to the school. The bus had been late meaning class started in less than five minutes. They jogged into the building going to their lockers that were two down from each other. On the way, Zayn managed to trip over his shoelaces. He didn't fall much to his relief.

        Niall laughed at Zayn's clumsiness, "Mate, you need to start buying lace-less shoes, or you're going to end up seriously hurting yourself."

        Zayn curtly grumbled "blow me" under his breath. This was a bad habit of his; forgetting to tie his shoes. 

        "Mr. Malik! Mr. Horan! Shouldn't you two be in class?" Mrs. Katelyn, a forty year old English teacher who normally only taught year 6-8's, said refering to the bell that had already rang.

        "Oh shit! See you later, Mate," Niall said jogging off to his first class.

        "Remind Mr. Horan that swearing doesn't go unpunished," she said giving Zayn a small smile showing that she was messing around. Yes, probably the only teacher above the age of thirty-five that can joke and go easy on students. 

        "Of course, Mrs. Katelyn," Zayn smiled back carrying his painting to art class; his first block.

        Everyone was too busy talking to friends and showing their projects to notice his lateness, well, except Ms. Eva, Zayn's art teacher.

        "Zayn, you're late," she teased, "I think you might need to take a swift trip down to the principal's office."

        "Sorry, Ms. Eva, the bus was late."

        "No worries, dear, you're fine," the twenty-eight year old smiled.

        Zayn smiled back going back to his esle and setting his painting on it.

        "Class, take a seat and make any final touches to your projects!" Ms. Eva said.

        Zayn took off his cover smiling at it proudly. The original drawing was drew when he, his sisters, and his mother went hiking. It was drawn on the top of a hill. His mother insisted that he did commenting that the view was "the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen". Using his pastel paints he blended the beautiful summer sinery together; the small houses, trees, flowers, mountains.

        He waited for Ms. Eva to look at his project. "Very well done, Zayn, but where are you?"

        "Sorry?" He asks in confusion.

        "Don't get me wrong you are an amazing artist, Zayn, but art is another way of expressing your inner most deep emotion. Your artwork is amazing, but there's no passion behind them. A+, but for your new assignment I want you to paint me something from your heart, not your memory."

        Zayn nodded still baffled, "Yes, Ms. Eva."

        He got up from his seat and looked out the window while the other students chatted. He'd never drawn anything from his "heart". What the hell does that even mean, a voice in his head sneered.

        He watched out the window noticing a boy standing by one of the trees.

        "Okay, time for today's lesson! Everyone, once again, find your seats!" Ms. Eva said.

        Zayn did a double take after all was said, but there was nothing by the tree. His mind was playing tricks on him. He took his seat listening to Ms. Eva letting that boy by the tree slip from his mind.

~

A bit short but what do you think?

Vote

Comment

Fan

Tori xx