28. Cassie

My mum and I had spent our night watching chick flicks and eating too much popcorn, before she had to leave to have dinner with my dad. He had just hung up with her before I came home, which is why she was crying. I had caught her at a bad time. She squeezed my arm gently before bidding her goodbyes and leaving me alone. I continued watching movies on my own, until I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up to the buzzing of my phone, but the light and tv had been switched off and a blanket placed over my body. It must’ve been late, and my mum must have come home. I saw it was Parker and sighed, picking up.

“Cassie!” He sounded so enthusiastic and I could tell he was drunk.

“What is it, Parker?” I muttered, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

“The party was so fun, you should’ve came,” he laughed loudly. “At least I know you weren’t lying to me about staying home, because your only friends were at the party. You don’t have many friends. You’re lucky I’m dating you.”

So lucky,” I told him sarcastically, ignoring his remarks.

“I fucked Calum up,” he laughed again and said something into the background, where there were more voices.

“What?” I became more alert.

“He’ll stay away from you now, and that blonde kid.”

“What did you do to them?” I practically shouted.

“Stop yelling at me,” he snapped. “Just roughed ‘em up a bit. Should be fine,” he sighed, “and anyways, you should be worried about me, not them.”

“Why would I be worried about you?” I scoffed.

“Because I’m your boyfriend, you slut,” he growled and I frowned although he couldn’t see me.

“Right. But you started it,” I told him slowly, knowing he was drunk and could get angry with me in a matter of seconds.

“I never said that.”

“So they started it?” I couldn’t wrap my mind around that. There was no way Calum and Luke could’ve picked a fight with Parker.

“I’ve gotta go,” he said quickly.

“But-” I started but he had already hung up. I checked my texts to see thirty-two text messages, all from Samantha, Michael and Ashton, informing me of the fight. I didn’t reply seeing as it was nearly three in the morning now, and turned on the television until I fell asleep again.

This time, I woke up to the doorbell ringing. I sat up and went to get it, because I wasn’t sure if my mum was home or not.

“Calum,” I gasped when I opened the door to his bruised face. He smiled weakly.

“Hi.”

“Calum, I’m so sorry,” I pulled him inside and shut the door. I pulled him in for a hug and he buried his face in my hair. “I’m so so sorry. Fuck,” I muttered.

“Don’t be, Cass,” he pulled away and held my shoulders, looking into my eyes.

“Can you tell me what happened?” I cupped his face with my hand and stroked his cheek with my thumb.

“Parker was at the party last night and he found Luke first and I guess Luke wouldn’t tell him where I was and he just got mad and him and his friends attacked him or whatever. Sam told me and I went out after them,” he shrugged, explaining very quickly.

“This is all my fault, oh my god, I’m so sorry!” I kept apologising.

“Jesus, Cass. It’s not your fault, okay?” He ran his fingers through his hair. “I broke up with Andrea. This is too much drama,” he groaned. “I’m not used to being noticed by anyone, and now I’m getting into fights and stuff? It’s just weird,” he muttered but then smiled at me. “I was so worried about you.”

“About me? Why?” I furrowed my brows.

“I was worried he came by here or something,” Cal took my hands in his.

“No, he didn’t,” I reassured him. “Calum, you should stay away from me.”

“I don’t want to, Cassie.”

“Calum, saying Parker is crazy is an understatement. Please listen to me.”

No,” he shook his head. “I love you. Please don’t make me do that. We can take care of this together.”

“No! Calum, you don’t understand! He’s capable of so much and I’m so scared of him. I can’t tell anyone!”

“If you do, he can’t hurt you,” he pleaded. I shook my head.

“Cal, I deserve this. Look at what he did to you! All because of me,” tears built up in my eyes and Calum looked at me in disbelief.

“You can’t honestly believe you deserve this? To be treated like this? God damnit, Cass! Why do you need to make this so difficult?” I flinched at his words.

“Please, Calum, listen to me. If you tell anyone, it’ll make him angry. Please, just stay out of it.”

“I don’t understand how you expect me to stay out of it!” He motioned to his face.

“I’m sorry,” I croaked as I began crying. Calum pulled me in for another hug and sighed.

“Do you want me to leave?” He whispered, pulling back and tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. I must’ve stared at him for a while, because he spoke again, “please say no.”

“You should, Calum. I’m worried Parker will show up.” I couldn’t even look up at him. He sighed deeply, leaning down and kissing my lips softly.

“I love you Cassie.”

“I love you too, Calum.”

I watched him leave, looking back and biting his lip.

“Cassandra?” My mum called from the top of the stairs. I looked at her and noticed her face fall when she saw I was crying. She descended the staircase and pulled me into a hug, and our roles from last night were reversed. This was the way it should’ve been all this time. She should’ve been a mother to me and comforted me and took care of me before she had her own heart broken. She was too late.

“You haven’t even asked where these bruises are from!” I choked out between sobs, now angry with her.

“I’m so sorry, Cassandra.”

I was sorry too, for being selfish and careless and not listening to Luke and Calum and for giving Parker another chance and for dragging everyone else into my problems. I knew I had to put an end to myself to put an end to everything else. Walking up the stairs, I made plans for my last weekend because there was no one who could save me anymore.

hi hi hi. i just finished watching the to do list and it was so funny i recommend it to all of you ok go watch it please omfg

so this story is v close to the end and im getting emotional about it omg. im kind of hoping to finish it this week before i leave for my grandparents but idk

one more thing- if you guys could not ask me when im updating thatd be really great! sorry if i sound bitchy i just really have been feeling so shit like i literally want to be six feet under and yes okay i dont know when ill be updating i dont have it in me which is why this chapter sucks and yeah okay whatever.

dedicated to hipstxrhxrold bc cutie you comment on literally every chapter <3

vote & comment i love you all very very much.

-ara