24. Calum

“You guys are so good,” Andrea told me quietly as I walked her to her door. “I dated this guy in a band once, but they actually sort of sucked,” she scrunched her nose and I laughed, watching her pull out her keys.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then?” I smiled at her, biting my lip as she turned in the now open doorway to look at me.

“Yeah,” she nodded, pecking my lips quickly. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Goodnight, Calum.”

When she was safely inside and couldn’t see me anymore, I grinned goofily. Andrea was pretty and funny and nicer than I had originally thought. She never really noticed me before, but now I was glad that she had. I thought about Cassie a lot as I drove home, tapping my fingers on the steering wheel while I hummed along with my music. I wanted to be her friend, I really did, and I would do anything to help her and the situation that she was in. But I had feelings too, and I needed a bit of distance until she needed me. I’d always be there if she did.

I wasn’t the best with distance, as that was proven in the earlier stages of her relationship with Parker when I ignored her. But it wouldn’t be like that this time, because I promised myself to take care of her and not let her slip away again. Not when Parker was treating her this way.

After saying hi to my mum and dad, talking to them a bit about their days and retreating to my room, I started my homework. I didn’t have much, but I still had to stay up late to do it. I contemplated calling Cassie, but I couldn’t bring myself to. I just didn’t know what to do in this situation. I didn’t want her to hate me or get even more hurt if Parker found out that someone knew about what he was doing. I could confront him, but he could really hurt her if he knows she told me. I was so stuck and I knew the best thing would be to go and get actual help, rather than just me trying to punch Parker in the jaw and having him beat the shit out of me and hurting Cassandra.

I crawled into bed with my thoughts weighing me down. She was so strong, and she didn’t even realise it. She was struggling, and she had every reason to be upset with her life at the moment, but the fact that she was harming herself was killing me on the inside. I wanted to tell a guidance counselor, which, Luke told me earlier, his maths teacher had suggested to Cass. I knew she’d hate me, but I only had her best interest in mind. Maybe I could try to talk her into it, and if she refused I’d just have to do it myself. I loved Cassie, and there was no way I was letting this continue.

I dozed off only to be woken up by thunder at around two a.m. I tried falling back asleep for around thirty minutes but was unsuccessful. The only thing on my mind was Cassie as the rain poured outside, and so I decided to finally text her.

‘I hope you’re safe Cass. love you.’

I obviously didn’t expect a reply, it being almost three in the morning, but my phone vibrated anyways.

‘you too Calum.’

The fact that she was still up at that time should’ve bothered me, but in my drowsy mind it didn’t really seem odd. I fell asleep again and stayed asleep this time, until my alarm went off for school.

The day dragged on, but I was a bit confused when Cassie didn’t show up for English. I texted her under my desk.

‘where are you?’

She didn’t reply for a while, so I sent her another one.

‘cassieeeee’

My mind was a bit occupied during lunch, where I sat with Samantha and Andrea and Luke. It was odd, sitting with someone other than Luke or Cassie, but he didn’t seem to mind the pretty blond holding his attention.

“Do you know why Cassie isn’t in school?” Sam frowned.

“She’s probably sick or whatever,” Andie rolled her eyes. I didn’t like the fact that she didn’t seem to like Cassie.

“Yeah, but she’s not replying to my texts or anything either. It’s noon.”

“I’ve slept in past noon,” Luke shot her a reassuring smile. “Maybe her phone is dead or something. I wouldn’t worry too much.” His words said one thing but his expression said otherwise. You could tell he was worried.

She still hadn’t replied when Luke texted me from maths, telling me she wasn’t in that class either. I thought maybe she’d come in after lunch or something, but no. Everyone missed days of school, and I knew I was just being paranoid as I texted her at least ten times. After school, Andrea and Samantha were hanging out, so I gave Andie a kiss before they walked off to Samantha’s car. Me and her weren’t “official” or whatever yet, but we basically acted like we were together. It had only been a week, but relationships are meant for getting to know someone, right?

“Calum, I’m really worried,” Luke bit his lip as we pulled into Michael and Ashton’s driveway. We had been practising more often than usual, because we had a gig coming up. I was so excited, but I decided I’d tell Andie closer to the actual event.

“Me too,” I let out a sigh.

“Maybe we should go to her house?” He suggested, as we saw Ashton open the door with a pout on his face. Michael came up behind him laughing and Ashton said something to him before rolling his eyes and strolling towards us. I rolled down my window as Luke started to open his door. I locked it so he couldn’t get out, and he looked at me, confused.

“You guys coming in?” Michael asked through the window.

“No, we need to go to Cassie’s house,” I furrowed my brows, unlocking the doors. Michael just nodded, running back inside with Ashton behind him. They came back with a set of keys, bickering about something and climbing into the backseat.

“I want to drive,” Ashton whined.

“No! You drove us to dinner last night,” Michael groaned. “I want to drive!”

“You guys are like a fucking married couple,” Luke snickered.

“Mikey and I? Oh yeah!” I heard laughing and shuffling in the backseat and I smiled. I was so nervous I was shaking as I drove carefully to Cassie’s house, beyond thankful to have the guys with me because they were making me smile at such an awful time. I was scared the girl I was practically in love with was dead.

When we pulled up to her large house, there were no cars in the driveway, which wasn’t unusual, but it was unsettling. She was alone in there. I felt like I couldn’t breathe and ran up to the door, ringing the bell and knocking like a madman with the boys standing behind me. The door opened, and I nearly collapsed at who I saw.

GUYS HAVE I TOLD YOU MY BEST FRIEND LOOKS LIKE CALUM BC HE DOES LIKE CRAZY ALIKE AND A BUNCH OF PEOPLE TELL HIM THEY LOOK ALIKE OK IM POSTING A PICTURE OF CAL ON THE SIDE WHERE LIKE I CANT EVEN TELL THEM APART

aw guys i hit 200 followers and thats really exciting for me okay ily

this chapter is dedicated to hemmocide bc cutie aw ily (why didnt i start dedicating chapters to you guys earlier im so dumb)

okay i love you all berry much & expect another update soon!

vote & comment! <3

 -ara