The other opinion

Just as people differ in nature and physique, they also differ in their views, persuasions and dealings. If you ever feel that someone has erred, then advise him and try to rectify his fault, but if he does not listen, do not then write him off as one of your enemies. Deal with situations optimistically, in accordance with your own ability.

If you were to attempt to rectify a fault in one of your friends, and he rejected your advice, do not turn friendship into enmity. Continue to be kind to him, in the hope that at least his fault would not increase.

It is said, "Have mercy! For some forms of evil are more bearable than others." If you deal with people cheerfully, you would not become angry over every small or great fault of theirs and live happily forever.

'A'ishah – may Allah be pleased with her – said, "The Messenger of Allah peace be upon him never sought revenge for himself. He never hit anyone with his hand, neither a woman nor a servant, unless while fighting in the cause of Allah. He was never harmed in regards to his person that he ever sought revenge from the one who harmed him, unless if one of God's sanctities were violated, in which case, Allah would avenge him." (Muslim)

Therefore, no doubt the Prophet peace be upon himwould become angry, but his anger would be for Allah. He would not become angry for his own sake. In order to understand the difference between the two types of anger, suppose that your younger son came to you one morning and asked you for one or two Riyals to spend at school. You then look through your wallet only to find five hundred Riyal notes. You give it to him anyway, and say to him "This is a 500 riyal note. Only spend two riyals from it and bring the rest back." You remind him repeatedly to ensure that he remembers.

By the time he returns home after Dhuhr, you find that all the money has been spent. What do you do? How angry would you be? You may hit him, be harsh with him and deprive him of his pocket money for days to come. Yet, if you were to return from 'Asr one day, to find him playing games on the computer or watching television instead of praying in the mosque, would you then become as angry with him as you would in the former situation?

I think we would agree that the first instance of anger would be harsher, more prolonged and more effectual than the latter one.

However, the anger of the Messenger of Allah peace be upon himwas solely for Allah. Often he would advise people but it would not be accepted from him, and thereupon, he would relax, for guidance is only in the hands of Allah.

The Prophet peace be upon himapproached Tabuk, on the borders of Syria, and came close to the boundaries of the Roman Empire. He sent Dahiya al-Kalbi – may Allah be pleased with him – to Heraclius, the Emperor of Rome. Dahiya upon arriving entered into the presence of Heraclius and handed over to him the letter from the Messenger of Allah peace be upon him. When Heraclius saw the letter he called the priests and the patrician and closed the doors on himself and them for privacy. He said, "As you know, this man has appeared, and he has sent to me a letter calling me to accept one of the three points:

1) That I follow his religion, or;

2) Give him what we own on this land, whilst the land remains ours, or;

3) We go to war with him."

Heraclius then said, "By Allah, you already know from reading your books that he would surely take our lands. Why don't we just follow his religion? Or, give him our wealth and keep our lands?"

When the priests heard this and realised that he was asking them to leave their religion, they became angry, raised their voices and removed their gowns. Meaning, their gowns dropped due to the severity of their anger and upheaval.

They said, "Are you calling us to leave Christianity, or that we should be slaves to a Bedouin who has come to us from Hijaz?" Heraclius stood aghast. He realised that he had surely got himself in trouble by making this suggestion. The priests used to enjoy great authority and popular support amongst the people, thus, Heraclius feared that if they left him now in this state, they would turn the entire empire of Rome against him. He began to calm them down and said, "I only asked you this to test your firmness on your religion."