Chapter 13: Arcturus' Champion

Start from the beginning

"Thank you very much," said Diana.

"Thank you very much," repeated Akko.

After Rize rounded the corner, Diana asked, "Which room do you want?"

The doors looked the same, but the plaques on the wall were different. The right door's plaque had 'The Ostentatiously Enchanting Room of Ethereal Pleasures'. The other plaque had 'The Quiescently Pastoral Room of Rustic Humility'. Akko read the plaques twice and couldn't understand what kind of rooms they were since it used such complicated words. "Uh... do you mind if I look first?"

"Be my guest." Diana winked.

"Hey! You're a guest too!" Akko opened the right door and her jaw dropped at the sight. Thick, lush carpet with floral patterns covered the floor. The desk, dresser, chest, changing panel, cloak stand and cabinet were gilded with silver and gold trimmings. One very large bed was covered with an embroidered rose patterned quilt and had a canopy with silk curtains. Across the bed was a scrying mirror which was the magic equivalent of a television and chat. The chairs were padded with leather and had embroidered pillows and cushions. The sweet scent of flowers calmed her nervousness and enticed her to enter. She stepped in and her shoe sank into the thick carpet. Feeling that she was entering someone's home, she removed her shoes and walked across the room, relishing the soft and warm carpet as the gentle chirping of birds serenaded her ears. The ceiling had an enchanted sky, mimicking the afternoon sun with warm, orange tones.

She would've wanted this room but what about Diana? Is the other room like this? She should look at it too. Reluctantly, she left the room and opened the left door. There were two single beds with metal frames on the weathered hard wood floor. Both beds had simple gray fleece blankets and one small pillow with a white cover. The only furniture were two plain wooden desks and cabinets. There were no pictures or decorations on the wood paneled walls. This room wouldn't be out of place in a dorm.

It would be nice if they could stay in the Enchanting Room but it only had one bed. She would have to sleep in the same bed with Diana. Her body warmed at the idea and began to sweat. Maybe that may not be a good idea. She might not be able to sleep.

"I'll take this room," said Diana who flicked her wand to float her luggage into the Pastoral Room.

"No, wait! I haven't decided!" said Akko, stepping in front of Diana's luggage. She had seen Diana's room in Luna Nova and at home. Diana would be uncomfortable in a room like this and she didn't want to be the reason for her discomfort.

"Please take the other room, Akko. We may be guests here, but I'm still your host for the summer."

She had to think fast. Knowing Diana's kind nature, debating would be useless since she wasn't that good at debating anyway. She would have to use other means and held out a clenched fist. "Rock-paper-scissors. Three out of five. Winner gets to choose."

"All right."

It took five rounds for Akko to win. "What's the teleportation spell?"

"For yourself? Veprim mem. Focus a location that you've been to before in your mind and cast."

"What about a thing?"

"Veprim and the object's name. Point your wand at the object." Diana stared at her suspiciously. "What are you planning?"

Akko pointed at the closest frame bed. "Veprim bed!" The bed was teleported into the Enchanting Room. "Yes! You take the big bed, Diana."

"I don't think that's fair. Veprim bed!" The large bed teleported into the Pastoral Room. "Veprim bed!" The second frame bed teleported into the Enchanting Room. "Now that's settled..." Diana's luggage floated into the Enchanting Room.