4 ➳ sunsets and starry skies

"i looked up at the stars, and it seemed as if there was a cluster of them... and then i saw the lonely one that shined the brightest..."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

maya:

i quickly rushed out of the subway station and made my way to the small apartment building in the dangerous side of town.

i entered my bedroom through my window. i threw all of my stuff onto the floor and laid on the bed. i stared up at the ceiling, trying to feel something i haven't felt before. i daydreamed about how it feels to be loved back.

i stared at the dim ceiling lights, imagining that it was a pair of lively green eyes staring back. i imagined his smile spreading across his lips after i've made a cowboy joke. i imagined his lips mouthing the words 'i love you.'

i didn't notice the small smile spreading across my face as the words "i love you" in his voice echoed through my mind. but the smile disappeared as i remembered that it was a daydream.

not all dreams come true, especially mine.

i got up from my bed and walked towards my mirror. i stared at the caked on make up that layered my face. i saw the cracking lipstick on my plump lips. the slightest smear of mascara under my eyes from natural oils.

my eyes scaled down to my yellow dress. a bright color that i would never wear. i saw my pale legs exposed, and i've never exposed them before.

"who are you?" i asked in almost a whisper. i looked crazy talking to my reflection, but my reflection isn't maya, it's riley.

my blonde hair looked brown in the mirror. my skin looked more yellow toned and a shade or two darker. my gray and blue eyes were brown and almond-shaped. my nose had turned into a small button nose. and my lips were thinner, but plastered in a smile that didn't match my frown.

this isn't me looking back. "where are you maya?" i asked the mirror. the expression on riley's face didn't change. she was still smiling.

i felt tears forming on the edge of my eyes. as i blinked, a few fell down my face. but now they wouldn't stop.

i sobbed as i stared at the mirror, searching for the girl i used to be, but she was lost. my hands covered my mouth and nose as i kept sobbing while riley's face didn't change... she still smiled.

i stumbles out of my room as i was still crying. i just sat on the olive green couch of the living room until i was completely calm. my breathing was still unsteady from my tears, and my face was red and slightly puffy.

i climbed onto the rusty, old fire escape from my window and made my way to the roof.

i saw a few pigeons on top eating some scraps of random food. they all flew away as i approached them.

i turned to look at the sky behind me. an array of pink, orange, and periwinkle painted the sky. the faint shining of the stars were hidden by the orange sun that brought a refreshing warmth over my body.

i wanted to paint this beautiful scene, to save it forever. but it seems as if i had forgotten all of my skills in how to paint. i only know the science and technique of the painted purple cat.

i decided to just take in the beautiful scene in front of my. i sat at the edge of the building with my feet dangling over the edge.

my back arched as the slight breeze brought goosebumps to scatter across the plains of skin that were exposed.

i watched as the many colors blended into a dark blue. tonight, the stars were much closer together. but their shine was a bit faint. i looked to the left to see one star all by itself. but it's shine stood out. it shined the brightest.
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

vote ➳ comment ➳ follow