Chapter 7

Kyle had helped Tessie get her things into a vacant room. She was going to be here for five days. I was beginning to get worried now, not talking was getting difficult. There were so many things I wanted to say to Tessie! Luckily though Hazel started hanging out with Tessie and Kyle. That way I could slip away for time on my own, mostly. I was usually with Dino now or up on the roof. I think Kyle was beginning to get suspicious though and kept trying to follow me. Needless to say he eventually would get bored so I was alone again. Now I was in the kitchen messing with stuff on my laptop and trying to somewhat organize it. I'm awful when it comes to staying neat and organized as you can tell just by looking at my desk. I glanced up as Tessie and Hazel came in talking about some Californian thing. I try to focus as they keep chattering and get drinks out of the fridge. Tessie must finally notice me and sits down across from me at the table.

"I didn't know your friend used to live in California!" Tessie is smiling and so is Hazel. "I spent most of my life in California before my family moved to Oklahoma" Now there's a story I've heard before, how Tessie and Hank met.

"Good for you" I mutter not thinking and only after I've spoken do I realize what I've done. I look up where Hazel and Tessie are staring at me. Tessie's face is too hard to look at, full of shock and sadness. I grab my laptop and run out of there, I know they'll tell Kyle next and I'll have to answer to everyone. I can't take that right now my mind is filled with rage and anger as I get into Dino. I guess he figured I wanted to get away and drove off into the city. It was silent for the longest time until we stopped in an alley. I don't know why we were here but as long as we were away from NEST I was fine, mostly.

"Hello" Dino said finally and I couldn't help smiling.

"Really? I just talked in front of two people and your saying hello?" I leaned my head on my hand.

"Yes are you going to say hello back?" He asked and I looked out the window. I knew there was something else behind it, a metaphor of sorts.

"I don't think I'm ready" I sighed. The sky was getting darker by the minute as the sun disappeared. We sat there again in silence for a while. Dino scared me by transforming and sitting on the ground.

"Why are you afraid to speak now?" Dino asked me as I sat down on his knee.

"I'm afraid of what everyone will say. I haven't talked in nearly 3 years" I couldn't look at him.

"Danielle look at me" I hesitated but looked up at his face. "You are amazing and Kyle and Tessie love you. Don't you think they'll be happy if you start talking again?" I leaned back looking up at the stars.

"Hello"