Chapter 2

We drove back to N.E.S.T. With the refugees and left the government in charge of cleaning it up. Three of the Autobots stayed, they called themselves the Wreckers, to help because apparently they'd built the ship, the Xanthium. I kept thinking about my new partner, Dino. Could he really be so much like Jazz? 'No' I tell myself in my head 'I will not get attached to him like I did...Jazz' Once we all get back I head to my work station. It won't be just mine anymore. Optimus comes over with Dino, probably to introduce me, and I'm right.

"Dino this is Danielle, she was partners with Jazz before he died." Optimus tells him.

"Glad to meet you uh may I call you Danny?" Dino asks and I cringe. No one calls me that anymore, I only let Jazz call me Danny.

"Danielle has not spoken since Jazz died, two and a half years ago. I believe she would prefer if you didn't call her that though" Optimus speaks for me. He leaves us to get the other Autobot, Que, settled with Ironhide and Hazel. She's one of the other humans here with an Autobot partner. I turn my back on Dino going back over to my desk pretending to look for something. At the moment it's awkward between us until Dino points out one of the hoods I've decorated.

"You did this? It's amazing I might say!" He studies the red hood with the flaming black skull. I smile as it's one of my favorites. Then again I pretty much love every hood I've decorated. Painting, drawing, and music is everything to me. Especially since I have ADHD. Jazz was the one who first realized this and helped me. Dino looks down at me "Don't talk do ya? Well I don't blame ya death is a tough thing." I pull my knees up to my chest as he begins to tell me war stories and of the journey here to Earth. Though I'm sure about half of it he made up he's still a great story teller.

I must have eventually fallen asleep for when I wake up I'm lying on something hard. It's dark and when I try to stand up I hit my head.

"Aye your awake? Don't hurt yourself there" I hear Dino's voice. I reach out and find a door handle opening the door and climbing out. I quietly walk back to my room rubbing my head. I haven't slept in a car for...two and a half years. I used to always sleep in the backseat though. I practically collapse on my bed and fall asleep instantly.

When I wake up I expect some drastic attempt by Kyle to try to get me to speak again. After ten minutes though I get up. I walk out still half-asleep and Kyle's out there.

"Morning Sleepyhead you know it's ten o' clock?" He asks seeming slightly amused. I blink and look around, there aren't any windows but everyone else seems to be up and working. I roll my eyes and drag myself over to the work area. Dino is already there apparently trying to find something. I look around, the place is a mess! I really need to do some cleaning and organizing. I stand there with my arms crossed waiting for Dino to notice me.

"Oh...um...right. I was looking for some...red..." He says awkwardly. I blow some hair out of my face and look around. Geez I don't even know where everything is. Then I remember I was using it the other day so it should be...on the table. When I go over the buckets been knocked over and the lid off 'Great it's either dry or there's nothing in it' I think and pick it up looking inside. Sure enough the paint was dry. I show it to Dino before throwing the can away.

"We'll that's wonderful. Now I can't fix the scratch on my paint job!" He says and I have to look away. Not once in the past two and a half years have I wanted to laugh so bad. Dino looks down at me. "Hey it's okay if you want to say something I won't tell anyone." I just stare up at him my hand over my mouth for a while. I find myself laughing and crying at the same time. Laughing because he cares that much about his paint job and crying because so did Jazz. I can't really trust Dino that much already can I? Then again when Jazz showed up that day... I can hardly keep my balance and I sit down pulling my knees to my chest and hiding my face.

"You okay?" Dino kneels down and I look up at him. I can't get close to him not after what happened before. I'm too scared of loosing someone again I realize. I nod but now I just need some time alone and the best place for that is the roof.