Original Edition: Chapter Seven

Start from the beginning

"Come on." Jessica threw her wind ridden hair over her shoulder. "You know Ben."

She looked up at her best friend. And she was there. Really there. Standing beside her and smiling and Naomi couldn't fathom how anyone wouldn't want that. She smiled and nodded to herself. "You're probably right." Not a second later, Naomi's eyes found the road. To a specific spot she'd been trying to ignore for weeks.

"Don't," Jessica blurted. Cars suddenly zipped by them and the wind carried her attention.

"Don't what?"

"Sulk," Jessica answered obviously. "About that stupid Guise party."

Naomi groaned. She was sure everyone would come to the Academy today and rave about how great the Guise's party was. Share pictures. Laugh at hashtags.

"Look, we spent our night being productive. We rehearsed and got the moves down to a T. That's something to be proud of," she emphasized, "right?"

Naomi adjusted the strap of her duffel bag. "Right."

When the girls had just about gotten to the steps of the Fox Performing Arts Centre they heard something that was uncommon in Riverside. Shouting. They turned to see that just a few feet over in the scanty parking lot of the Centre was a man who seemed to be reprimanding his daughter. It took the girls only a fraction of a second, only because the girl was standing so sheepishly, to realize that that girl was Aspen Letterman. Her back was to them but they could still tell it was her. Her blonde hair was recognizable anywhere.

"A party?! Are you crazy?!" her father was screaming. Anger had eaten away any softness his face could ever possess and replaced it with burning danger. Naomi settled back in her heel.

"She deserves it," Jessica said.

They couldn't tell if Aspen was saying anything or nodding but one thing was certain: her father dominated the space. "Do you think professionals get hangovers when they know they have rehearsal?! Aspen, how could you be so stupid?!" The blonde girl visibly flinched when he screamed at her, "Answer me!"

In the heat of California, Naomi had to assume that Aspen hadn't given the right answer because, in a flash, the back of her father's hand went straight across her face. Riverside stilled. Aspen's shoulders shivered as she held the reddening spot on her cheek. The parking lot rang out in silence like a white noise.

Her father pulled open the door to his car and retrieved his daughter's things, throwing her bag at her feet and shoving her pink water bottle into her chest. He leaned in to tell her something that Jessica and Aspen couldn't hear before he got back into his Lexus and this time, slammed the door shut. He reversed away from her and peeled out onto the road.

Aspen didn't move.

Jessica said under her breath, "She deserved that too."

Naomi wasn't aware of how long she'd been looking at her until Aspen had turned around and their eyes connected. Naomi took a step back. Aspen's jaw tightened and her sadness morphed into something uncontrollable, just like her father. She stormed over with the devil in her step and blazed up the stairs like fire. Naomi took another weak step backwards but it was futile. Aspen was already in front of her. "If you say anything, to anyone," her voice shook and she exhaled, then her following words held hell, "I swear on my life, I will end you Naomi Morgan."

This close, Naomi realized her eye-liner wasn't drawn in and the conviction she'd always had seemed slipping like her smudged lipstick. She didn't know exactly what she felt toward Aspen Letterman at that moment, but it wasn't fear. Aspen's nose opened with an uneven exhale and she managed one last angry look before spinning away.

She ran up the rest of the steps of The Fox Performing Arts Centre and flung herself through the double doors.

"Sad," Jessica commented.

Author's Note
Alexa, play Nobody's Perfect by Hannah Montanna.
This week, the dedication goes out to the incredibly supportive @Hatay46 yes! I been seeing you vote and I stan! Thanks for pressing that little star bc I need it for validation ilysm❤️. If you vote, comment and share the next dedication could be you!

But yes guys, tell me what you thought. I wanna know!

IN THE NEXT CHAPTER

IN THE NEXT CHAPTER...

He wasn't sure what to say, but his lips parted anyway. Ben had always hoped that Jessica was looking down at Naomi with a proud smile and wishes of many blessings. But this...this was something even angels would cry for...