Chapter 26

Audrey walked up to the porch, hands in her pockets, her thoughts on the conversation she just had with Ethan. He called to tell her the bracelets would be ready by that night and someone would stop by to give them to her. She was halfway up the steps when she froze. James was standing in front of her, his position mirroring hers.

"I guess it's too late to hide, right?" Audrey said.

"That's what I was wondering."

She smiled climbing the last steps, and noticed as James sunk his hands into his pockets.

"You want to walk first and I'll count to ten before following?" Audrey asked.

"No, we should learn how to do this cordial thing sooner or later."

"Okay then."

They both started walking and after the first minute of silence Audrey thought of faking an excuse to turn around.

"I heard Natalya's back." James said.

"She's staying for the summer. She said that she got to see you when you were in Europe this year."

"Did she? I guess she's right, part of that trip seems to be lost to me."

"I wouldn't worry about it, if you were in Russia and there was anything to celebrate, like you being there, I'm sure vodka was involved."

"You are right on that account." James laughed.

"How are you doing?" Audrey asked, causally.

James's face went serious and he focused at something in front of him.

"Audrey do me a favor?"

"Okay."

"Don't care. You made your decision and I don't understand it but just don't care."

"Okay." Audrey said.

They walked in silence the rest of the way. The afternoon sun glared off the water and the hot sand warmed the bottom of Audrey's feet. Charlotte had had the cabanas setup in a semi circle with an extra tent with a make shift bar and refreshment table.

As they got closer the sound of the waves mixed with the raise and fall of voices. When they got to where everyone was sitting under cabanas, James left her to sit with Liddy and Ashley. Everyone was sitting around chatting, all in different amounts of swimming clothes and just regular shorts and t-shirts. Audrey looked around and spotted Lucas sitting next to Natalya, both lost to the crowd around them.

"What's going on there?" Audrey asked Charlotte.

"Oh Lucas mentioned that he speaks Russian and they haven't spoken a word of English since."

"Interesting." Audrey said, distractedly watching them.

"Girl, my suggestion is to give him the look and get him away from her." Charlotte said.

"What's going on here?"

Charlotte and Audrey turned to see James walking up to them, his attention on Lucas and Natalya.

"James!" Natalya said, spotting him.

"Nat!"

Natalya stood up and hugged James.

"How've you been?" James asked.

He took a seat and smiled as Natalya curled up on the chair next to his, resting her arm on his chair. Lucas smiled at Audrey and walked over to her.

"Get a drink with me?" She asked.

"I guess that's me out." Charlotte said, already moving over to where Declan sat with Liddy and Ashley.